table saw splitter thickness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie64

Reaction score
Im after some advice on how thick to make a splitter im making for my table saw.Ive been looking on the internet and some people say to make it the thickness of the the cut or the width of the blade teeth some say make it thinner than that.If anyone can put me right i would be grateful jamie.

It should be a thickness between the body of the saw blade and the teeth. Thicker than the teeth and it will jam in the cut, thinner than the blade and the wood would pinch on the blade before it does on the riving knife/splitter.

You may need a couple to suit different blades.

I hope you mean make a Riving Knife rather than a splitter. There is a difference. A splitter is fixed behind the blade. It's better than nothing, I suppose, but a proper RK, which follows the shape of the blade and rises and falls with it is a far superior arrangement.
And yes, it should be thicker than the blade plate and thinner than the kerf.
I suggest you make it out of gauge plate rather than mild steel, it will be much more robust. Mild steel that thin is so very easily bent and then becomes more of a hazard than a help.
S

Latest posts

Back