Table saw question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OldWood":32ih5077 said:
Can I recommend a nifty little computer utility I've just been using to zoom in and confirm that the name is Martin and that the blade looks much more like a gear wheel than a saw blade !! What in the earth would such a fine toothed blade of this diameter be used for, with teeth that look triangular?

Rob

I have no problem with enlarging the photo (Preview will do that just fine) but the image is just too low a resolution to see the saw tooth geometry. So without seing the rake (probably negetive) and grind we can't be sure what material it is designed for.

OldWood":1f7wvil5 said:
Can I recommend a nifty little computer utility I've just been using to zoom in and confirm that the name is Martin and that the blade looks much more like a gear wheel than a saw blade !! What in the earth would such a fine toothed blade of this diameter be used for, with teeth that look triangular?

The utility is Gadwin Printscreen - I'll leave anyone interested to google for it. Apart from using it to zoom in on small areas as here, it's main use is to capture selectable small areas of the screen and extract them as a graphics file (jpg, etc). I only found it a month or so ago and have found it very useful.

Rob
Rob

Can you show us an example? Is it doing some sort of CIA type interpolation to find hidden detail or is it just a zoom function?

Miles

No it's just a zoom function and I'm sure there are other packages that do the same thing, but Gadwin has been recommended by one of the application reviewing websites, and I find it very useful for extracting snippets of maps, catalogue pictures, documents and the likes.

Rob

Can't see it close enough but from your description it sounds like an old untipped blade, no wonder it won't cut straight.

Jason

More detail:

387110893.jpg

387110891.jpg

I'll gues I'll invest in a new blade and see how it goes.

Chris_belgium":2n7dymw9 said:
More detail:

387110893.jpg

387110891.jpg

I'll gues I'll invest in a new blade and see how it goes.

The blade is very dirty and one of the tips we can see is slightly chipped. But the other ones look OK and may well be sharp.
It has a positive rake and ATB profile.
The tooth count shows it is designed for very hard or very thin material.

The tip count looks to be the equivalent to a 100 tooth in a 10" blade

This means it will be next to useless as a rip blade. The gullets are too small to clear the saw dust.

More info at http://www.dekalbsaw.com/glossary.html

It's funny you should link to my thread on my folding side table as I have also recently been tweeking the fence. I've used this saw for years (used to be in my previous employer's factory before I bought it :D :D ) and the wood being cut has ALWAYS drifted a little away from the fence when cutting.

For rough ripping it's not really a problem but when I want to do some finer more accurate work (which I can with the fine blade shown in the thread in the link) I need the fence to guide accurately. In a recent on-line Axminster order I spotted some shims and used them to top up my order, thinking "they'll come in handy one day..."

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=20258&name=shim&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0

I placed some (a .5mm and 4x .1mm) between the fence (which adjusts) and the cast iron part the adjustable bit fits to (does that make sense??) and then re-tightened it and ta-da!! It's now square and working better than ever!!!

HTH

Richard

OldWood":18za2vvb said:
No it's just a zoom function and I'm sure there are other packages that do the same thing, but Gadwin has been recommended by one of the application reviewing websites, and I find it very useful for extracting snippets of maps, catalogue pictures, documents and the likes.

Rob

Paint Shop Pro will do that and is an excellent package I have used and updated for years now. I believe there are programmes that use some image enhancement algorithms but most ain't cheap!

I would say that it has been used for plastic of some sort...is that not plastic residue behind the teeth...the red stuff?

Jim

jimi43":2iupm0t8 said:
OldWood":2iupm0t8 said:

Rob

Paint Shop Pro will do that and is an excellent package I have used and updated for years now. I believe there are programmes that use some image enhancement algorithms but most ain't cheap!

I would say that it has been used for plastic of some sort...is that not plastic residue behind the teeth...the red stuff?

Jim

No, that residue is from the padouk I've been cutting.

Richard Findley":31b9m3fq said:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=20258&name=shim&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0

I placed some (a .5mm and 4x .1mm) between the fence (which adjusts) and the cast iron part the adjustable bit fits to (does that make sense??) and then re-tightened it and ta-da!! It's now square and working better than ever!!!

HTH

Richard

Mine is ok as long as I keep sideways pressure on the piece, then it cuts nice and straight, offcourse for the last 20cm I can't put sideways pressure without cutting my fingers/pushstick off!

I don't really understand what you did with those shims, did you use them to square your fence to the blade? If possible a picture would be nice :D

Chris
My turning guru tells a story of an early experience in turning - with padouk.

It was his first experience with it. At the end of the day he went for a shower, just very recently newly fitted. The next day his wife commented on the fact that for some reason the grouting for the shower tiles had turned pink and what the H*** were they going to do about it.

He didn't make the connection and got the contractor back to scrape all the grout out and replace it. It was only some time later as the result of a conversation on padouk that he suddenly put tow and two together.

Rob

Sorry for the delay in my reply.

Pictures below hopefully explain what I was going on about:

P5140026.JPG

This shows where on the fence the shims are positioned, sitting slightly proud.

P5140027.JPG

This shows the back of the fence, showing the tilt mechanism on the fence and hopefully showing how the face of the fence slides on the main part which is fixed to the table. When the bolt is slacked off I inserted the shims and this corrected the face of the fence compared to the blade.

HTH Please ask if you need any more info.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for the pics!

So basically the problem was that the fence was not parallel to the blade? Is your fence perfectly parallel to
your blade or is the far end slightly out? If so how much do I have to aim for?

Thanks again!

Hi Chris,

I'm not a thou brained engineer so all I did was pack it out until it ran parallel to the blade using the blade of a large square. I then also made a series of cuts and checked the cut boards for square. It's still not quite 100% as the test pieces began to get noticably out after 4 or 5 cuts (cutting off a length so the "out of square" is muliplied each cut) but I think I can live with it for now. If I need to make a series of cuts like this for a production run I just use my sliding fence to square up the edge every so often.

HTH

Richard

Latest posts

Back