starting out what to buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve b

Established Member
Reaction score
Im looking to get into woodworking, ive just bought a new house and im looking to undertake some projects myself. Up to now things on the list are:

understairs draws (the biggie)
false chimney breast to sink tv into
stud walls
refurbishing a coffee table
maybe even some fitted wardrobes!
and possibly a few other things depending how well i get on.

I haven't done any wood work since school, but i do enjoy giving things a go and learning from the internet and would say im reasonably practical. Ive spent time recently researching how to build things but wont really have the space until i move in to actually have a go.

Ive been given a good mitre saw and a small but usable table saw and ive bought a router for some fancy edging on stuff I also have a good set of sharp chisels and a decent electric hand drill, also I was given an electric planer which ive never used and a big electric sander.

I think im going to need a good set of clamps in differing sizes and perhaps a set of different word working bits, dowels screws, glue, measures, sandpapers, etc. I also thought a smaller sander might be useful?

I dont have a big budget but i dont mind paying for the right items if they are worth it. Could you please recommend what i should have in my beginner tool box , anything you couldn't live with out etc?

also im in manchester, eccles. and I wonder if anyone knows a good place to get wood. that isnt B&Q etc. thanks!

Hi

Pick one project to concentrate on and buy the tooling necessary to complete it, then move on to your next project and add to your tool kit as required - repeat until you've no more room to store your tools :wink: :)

Regards Mick

Hi Steve,
If you haven't already got one,I would put a sturdy workbench high on the list, before you start making things for the house.
Cheers,
John

im hoping to reappropriate some of the old kitchen for this task, its pretty old and sturdy so hopefully will do the job with some reinforcement?

Latest posts

Back