Stanley plane colour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend has recently purchased a Stanley number three at a car boot sale for the grand price of £1.

It is in excellent original? condition. The body is blue rather than the more usual black.
I have never come across a blue painted Stanley before. Do any of you experts know if Stanley did use blue paint?

Thanks,

Aldel

Patrick Leach, of Blood & Gore fame, has this to say about the Stanley Bailey No. 2.

"A scarce late-production model of this plane measures roughly 1/2" longer than the earlier models. It almost passes as a #3, but its cutter is the usual 1 5/8"W. Examples of this plane usually have "BAILEY" cast at their toe, but they don't always, so have a tape measure handy to see if it measures 8" long. They also have the larger brass depth adjustment nut like those used on the larger bench planes. The cutter is not rounded at the top, but is angled as it was from the day it was first made. Most of these planes are japanned with the typical black paint, but the very last ones to leave New Britain are instead japanned blue."

I've never seen a blue one only the black ones. Currently I'm refinishing a Stanley #4 which has a light brown body and black painted handle and knob. I've just finished flattening and rejointing the body that was heavly corroded.

I have a #4 Stanley Westline that is blue. It also has blue painted wood tote and knob. Not bright blue like a record, more of a navy?

Back