Sorby Pro Edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bussy

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all
Contemplating getting in to turning, and would be interested in members who own the Sorby pro edge of their thoughts or experience of using the system. I do intend to go to the Northumberland turners next meeting with a view to joining, any forum members a member of said group.
Thanks in advance

Marty

i have a proedge. I am a beginner at turning, but i will say that with the proedge, I have zero issues with sharpening. There is no learning curve at all. Expensive, but a great piece of kit.

Thanks for the reply Marcros
Thats what i was hoping to hear, I'm fairly sure i've read a post of someone extolling the pro edge but couldn't find it. I haven't been anywhere near a lathe since school 38 -40 years ago but remember enjoying it then.
Looking at getting all the kit is like people say, the cost of the lathe is probably only half the cost of getting set up, but hey you can't take it with you.
Marty

Hi Marty

There has been a lot of discussion on here and elsewhere mostly very positive, it's only the price which is prohibitive.

I wouldn't part with mine and if you want to see one in action before you buy just pm me and maybe we can arrange a visit, I'm just north of Morpeth.

Bob

If you're happy to part with the money then its worth every penny. There are lots of other ways to do it - slow running grinder with homemade jigs, tormek, homebrew belt linisher - I just wanted to get stuck into turning so I bought one and its fantastic. Like festool stuff, if you decide its not for you and stick it on ebay you'll pretty much get your money back!

Bob Thanks very much for the offer i would much appreciate the chance to see one in action, i will pm you, thanks again.

Tfrench don't mind parting with the hard earned if it does the job, after all thats what you work for or at least thats what i work for these days.

Marty

Ive just got one :D

Its a big investment, if you can make do with a grinder with a white wheel and have the time to mess with jigs and tweaking angles ect then its not going to appeal.

For me people were saying get CBN wheels, there £100 each then you need a good grinder and still need the jigs. It all adds up and it still needs time to set up and perfect.

Everything on the Proedge is set, just use the 60 grit to get your tool where it should be then use 120 to get the edge. I can spend more time turning and less time sharpening, this mean a lot to me as I only get 6 or 7 hours a week free time.

All my skews were out by a lot, there all spot on and razor sharp now. I'm having a little trouble shapening my spindle gouge's with a standard grind but its de to the stupid shapes I had before I think. They will soon be where they need to be !

I must stress you need the ceramic belts really, they are much better than the other types :)

I'm a member of Northumbrian Woodturners and have been for 10 years or so. Hopefully you'll find the club very welcoming. If you go on the 12th August there's a bloke from Sorby demoing various bits of kit and selling stuff as well. There may be offers but I can't say for sure.

Several members have the Pro Edge including myself. I always planned on buying one when my grinder eventually packed in and it did last month (well it was 2nd hand and was well over 20 years old). I'm happy with it so far.

Where abouts on Tyneside are you? I'm in Newcastle and about to go on holiday but if you check out a Pro Edge in the flesh you're welcome to come round when I get back.

I should also add - I was perfectly happy with my grinder before it stopped working. Wide white wheels with a decent jig worked just fine for 10 years.

No doubt you've already visited, but there's an Axminster store just along the Coast Road which is pretty much the only place in the area to get decent lathes, tools and machinery.

duncanh":1a7z70v4 said:
I should also add - I was perfectly happy with my grinder before it stopped working. Wide white wheels with a decent jig worked just fine for 10 years.

No doubt you've already visited, but there's an Axminster store just along the Coast Road which is pretty much the only place in the area to get decent lathes, tools and machinery.
But not the pro-edge, for some reason they won't or can't sell it, or any Sorby tools.

There was a recent thread on the pros (lots) and con (cost), and it appeared every owner would never part with it and those who don't use one are satisfied with wheels of one sort or another or can't see £300 value in the Proedge.

Phil

Axminster don't have a distribution agreement with Sorby for the PE is my understanding.

In terms of recommending it. I bought one two years ago and it's all but replaced my Tormek and dry grinder for turning tools. I do still grind my favourite bowl and spindle gouge profile on the Tormek and have the dry grinder setup for scrapers. The PE does everything else and I find it particularly useful for skews which I use a lot for spindle work. I'm not a big fan of it's elliptical grinding which is what I still use the Tormek for. But for shaping, ie removing large quantities of HSS to bring a tool back from the dead it's absolutely superb. Then a quick pass or two to keep the edge alive on 120......boom...job done.

I asked in the Warrington branch of Axminster and the chap said that Sorby was a competitor so they don't sell their stuff.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

BearTricks":1wr5lusy said:
I asked in the Warrington branch of Axminster and the chap said that Sorby was a competitor so they don't sell their stuff.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Weird, that. I would have thought Jet is a competitor, too #-o

Quote: "Weird, that. I would have thought Jet is a competitor, too"

Not exactly. Axminster/Brimarc are the Jet importers for the UK. Win/win for Axminster.

Sorby's crossover is much greater (chucks, turning tools etc). Don't forget Axy have a manufacturing business in the chucks department and have a real core original history with turning...as do Sorby. Sworn enemies ....similar to Record Power. You'll never see any of their kit in an Axy store

Random Orbital Bob":1rif4suv said:
Sorby's crossover is much greater (chucks, turning tools etc). Don't forget Axy have a manufacturing business in the chucks department and have a real core original history with turning...as do Sorby. Sworn enemies ....similar to Record Power. You'll never see any of their kit in an Axy store

But you will see Sorby gear happily sitting alongside Record at Record main agents, Yandles for example. If these two were that strung up about it then Yandles would have to make the choice Record or Sorby. It would be great if Yandles also stocked Axminster products. That really would create a one stop shop for most and be so easy to do comparisons.

At present I call in to Yandles, have a good look at the machine I am about to buy, then on to Axminster, check theirs. All good if Axi wins, I buy there, but if not it's a call in to Yandles again on the way home. Perhaps it would be good for all to stock all three major brands.

Phil

I bought my Sorby Pro Edge a few months ago. Hardly ever use my grinding wheels now. Takes seconds to change belts (they last ages and are sensibly priced) and I use it for sharpening practically everything. Excellent bit of kit and worth the money.

Evening all
Thanks for taking the time to post replies, it's obvious that all people that have a PE love them and thats good enough for me Yandels will be getting an order in the next few days.
Thanks again

Marty

Back