Some advice on Record lathe purchase please..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitch

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking to get my first lathe and have narrowed my selection down to record.

I've been comparing the CL1 with the CL3 and wondering what people who have used them think of them. I did have my mind set on the CL3 and to look around for a second hand one, but have found a very tempting offer on the CL1. Is the CL3 really worth the extra? The only differences i can tell is the reduced HP and bowl diameter, am i correct?

I would love to try some out, but can't seem to find anywhere in London to do so (no car makes getting out of London a bit of a pain).

Any help and recommendations appreciated.

Cheers

I am biased in my opinions but I have used a CL3 since 1996 and cannot fault it in any way.

It is a very versatile lathe capable of working on pens and large platters so should suit you for all your requirements.

Regards Peter.

If you enjoy tuning and get hooked you will propably regret not getting the CL3 later down the line, when you're confidence grows and you start wanting to try different projects, bowls platters, hollow forms ect I think you will quickly get frustrated with the limited power and capacity of the CL1 (unless of course you know you will only ever be turning small items).

Dave

why does nobody ever mention a CL2?
ive got one and its the only lathe ive ever used so cant compare it to anything, but seems man enough for most things , 36in between centres and 18in dia, swivelling headstock, only downside i can see to it is its a bit on the hefty side so if space is limited you may need to get the hacksaw out.
(thats not a joke by the way, the previous owner of mine sawed a foot or so off the bed bars so it would fit in his shed!)

Cheers for your help guys.

It's pretty much the positive feedback for the CL3 I was expecting, having the growing room is something I was looking for, just a case of finding one in London....

I sort of overlooked the CL2 because I haven't seen any around, but I'll keep an eye out.

I've seen the CL3 for sale here, on gumtree last week and it's currently on eBay, with emphasis on collection only, so I haven't followed it up. It's exactly what I'm looking for though.

Time for a wanted ad I think....

Thanks again guys

Fitch":h8hf89w8 said:
Cheers for your help guys.

It's pretty much the positive feedback for the CL3 I was expecting, having the growing room is something I was looking for, just a case of finding one in London....

I sort of overlooked the CL2 because I haven't seen any around, but I'll keep an eye out.

I've seen the CL3 for sale here, on gumtree last week and it's currently on eBay, with emphasis on collection only, so I haven't followed it up. It's exactly what I'm looking for though.

Time for a wanted ad I think....

Thanks again guys

Oh dear :roll:

Hi

I use a CL3 up revved to CL4 standard by the addition of variable speed, don't think you'll be disappointed with a CL3 - anything less and you will always wonder :wink:

regards Mick

I'm not sure what my CL1 would be classed as now I have fitted a 1/2 HP 3ø variable speed motor to it, but I have been happy with it for the last 14 years or so (3ø for the last 18 months). It's a great machine and has given no problems. I have turned up to 13" bowls and have the large bowl turning kit for it, if I can find it?????

I don't know the CL3, but if it has the extra capacity and you think you need it then if it's anything like my CL1-ish you will not be at all disapointed!!!

My next project is going to be the turnstyle for a 'lazy Susan' 17"diameter so that should be interesting!!

Back