Small planer/thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lua

Reaction score
Although I'd like to have a nice big planer/thicknesser, I just don't have the space. So was going to pick up one of the small bench top ones like the Titan TTB579PLN 204mm.

According to the specs, this has a 740mm table size, so about 350mm on each side of the blade.

What would you say is the max length of board you'd recommend using with a table of that size? I'm guessing it's not going to be much more than 4-500mm?

Has anyone tried extending the table? perhaps either with fixed extension wings or a roller stand?

Edit : Scrap the roller stand idea, that won't work :p

I've only worked with the larger machines, but I think the small ones like the Titan are flimsy,
inaccurate, noisy ...
This fellow is also selling a smaller unit, it looks well made and not much larger than the one you mention.
(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/startrite-inc ... SwFdtXzqv8)
Shipping could be a factor, but with a bit of patience, you'll find something local.

HTH

Assuming the tables are accurately set up, I think the rule of thumb for maximum workable length is about 1.5 times the length of the beds - so a bit over a metre should be doable. Having said that, you should be able to do even better with thoughtful use (and a bit of practice), after all one could cheerfully attack that length with a 22" long #7 hand plane.

Beware of Titan/Screwfix. I have one of their disc and belt sanders and need a replacement drive belt. The original belt has disintegrated and is unidentifiable, the manual is of no help and the response from Screwfix's customer service was, "We don't carry spares for them. They are made in the far east".

AFAIK The Titan P/T at Screwfix is a rebadge and if you look around you'll see several identical P/Ts elsewhere, for varying and greater amounts of money. The Titan has good reviews on the Screfix site [FWIW] but also on this forum.

You could get an improved version of the fence as a spare part from Clas Ohlson which is said to fit the Titan.

Try this link and click the 'spare parts ' tab about half way down...

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cotech-Planer-Thicknesser/Pr183029000

monkeybiter":d9y6mr7l said:
AFAIK The Titan P/T at Screwfix is a rebadge and if you look around you'll see several identical P/Ts elsewhere, for varying and greater amounts of money. The Titan has good reviews on the Screfix site [FWIW] but also on this forum.

You could get an improved version of the fence as a spare part from Clas Ohlson which is said to fit the Titan.

Try this link and click the 'spare parts ' tab about half way down...

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cotech-Planer-Thicknesser/Pr183029000

I may as well just go with the Clas Ohlson one with the decent fence in the first place. It appears that nothing is in stock though, not the planer or any of the spare parts

Latest posts

Back