Planer / thicknesser issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aubreymg

Reaction score
Hi - I’ve got a SCM Mini max Lab30. The planer works fine but the thicknesser has stopped. the operating process is:

1. Rotate the selector switch to thicknesser
2. Engage the thicknesser lever
3. Press the start button

What then happens is a single click sound like a trip switch. Motor doesn’t engage just hums.

I have run the planer with the planer lever engaged and the feeder roller turns ok. When everything is turned off I can turn the feeder roller by hand.

The both use the same motor so I don’t know where to investigate next!

My advice welcome please…thank you.

If it works as a planer but not in thicknessing mode and has only a single motor which "hums" this suggest something mechanical is preventing the machine from turning. Have you checked the feed rollers are not jamed in some way ?

In thicknesser mode you shouldn't be able to turn the feed rollers by hand they are geared right down. Broke drive chain perhaps? If you turn the cutter block by hand you should see the rollers turning very slowly. If not there is a drive problem.

Last edited:
Thanks - my explpanation wasn't clear, it can rotate when not engaged and it rotates when the planer is turned on and thicknesser lever is engaged.

Thanks - my explpanation wasn't clear, it can rotate when not engaged and it rotates when the planer is turned on and thicknesser lever is engaged.
er - that's what it's supposed to do.
I did have a problem with mine (Minimax Lab 300) which was that the dust hood in thicknesser mode would not quite bear on the cut off switch button so the motor would cut out. Needed a bit of fiddling can't remember what. There's a quite a clever cut off switch mechanical linkage and I seem to recall having small problems with it at first.
PS mine doesn't have a "thicknesser" selector switch it works from one switch position for the planer, with the thicknesser linked by the lever. Are you pressing the wrong switches?

PS user group here SCM Minimax Owners Group | Facebook

Last edited:
er - that's what it's supposed to do.
I did have a problem with mine (Minimax Lab 300) which was that the dust hood in thicknesser mode would not quite bear on the cut off switch button so the motor would cut out. Needed a bit of fiddling can't remember what. There's a quite a clever cut off switch mechanical linkage and I seem to recall having small problems with it at first.
PS mine doesn't have a "thicknesser" selector switch it works from one switch position for the planer, with the thicknesser linked by the lever. Are you pressing the wrong switches?

PS user group here SCM Minimax Owners Group | Facebook
Thank you for replying and for the FB link. No, not pressing the wrong switches as it has worked before. I can confirming that the mechanism and motor are working, except when the thicknesser is selected on the Selector Dial. I've found the small cut off button that is released when the planer bed is lifted up and that seems to be working ok.

Thank you for replying and for the FB link. No, not pressing the wrong switches as it has worked before. I can confirming that the mechanism and motor are working, except when the thicknesser is selected on the Selector Dial. I've found the small cut off button that is released when the planer bed is lifted up and that seems to be working ok.
On mine both tables and the dust duct cover have cut off buttons (3) all linked to the one switch.

If the motor hums then the switch's are all working, its a mechanical fault as already suggested, jammed drive, chain has jumped off or similar, take the side panel off on the drive side and have a look, Oh yes don't forget to unplug it first. 😉

If the motor hums then the switch's are all working, its a mechanical fault as already suggested, jammed drive, chain has jumped off or similar, take the side panel off on the drive side and have a look, Oh yes don't forget to unplug it first. 😉
Thank you. I've done that and its all clear and the mechanism rotates fine. But I don't understand why the roller works when the planer is switiched on and the Thicknesser level is engaged. It works like that until I raise the bed to a certain height and the switch on the bed clicks. The humming is a very low hum if that makes a difference!?

If the planner is working and the thicknesser is not then its something mechanical and not electrical, unless they are on two different circuits. 🤔

I have a Lurem 2600, it's a circular saw, spindle moulder, planer and thicknesser. It has a single motor and a lever that engages various drive belts. All functions would work except the Spindle moulder, the start solenoid would click and the motor would hum.

After much scratching of head I decided to test the start and run capacitors, I found that the run capacitor was down a tad but the start capacitor had had it (no idea how the motor was even starting for the other functions) so I replaced both and it starts and runs like a charm.

Sorry I am of course assuming you have a single phase machine.

If the planner is working and the thicknesser is not then its something mechanical and not electrical, unless they are on two different circuits. 🤔
I'm inclined to agree! Not sure if the video makes any sense to you? Maybe I need to give SCM a call, but I gather they are hard to get hold of!

Attachments

• SCM MiniMax Lab30 - Wiring Layout.MOV
    13.6 MB
I'm inclined to agree! Not sure if the video makes any sense to you? Maybe I need to give SCM a call, but I gather they are hard to get hold of!
Actually the two times I called them about faults they were really helpful - I got diagnosis and spares by return post. Capacitor first time, then a switch some years later.

I have a Lurem 2600, it's a circular saw, spindle moulder, planer and thicknesser. It has a single motor and a lever that engages various drive belts. All functions would work except the Spindle moulder, the start solenoid would click and the motor would hum.

After much scratching of head I decided to test the start and run capacitors, I found that the run capacitor was down a tad but the start capacitor had had it (no idea how the motor was even starting for the other functions) so I replaced both and it starts and runs like a charm.

Sorry I am of course assuming you have a single phase machine.
Thank you. I will try and locate those and give them a test
Actually the two times I called them about faults they were really helpful - I got diagnosis and spares by return post. Capacitor first time, then a switch some years later.
oh ok, great! You don;t have the number by any chance please?!

Correction to my diagnosis, the humming is actually coming from the contactor breaker when trying to start the thicknesser and now having disturbed the position of the wiring in the control box the spindle moulder is not working either! This time with a loud sound coming from the motor itself! Feel like I have a gremlin inside!

Attachments

• SCM MiniMax Lab30 - Contact Breaker.jpg
    SCM MiniMax Lab30 - Contact Breaker.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back