Simply enjoying myself.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks very nice Chas. :D
Nice piece of Yew :D No splits anywhere in it,unlike all the Yew i've got that seems to have :roll:
What was the finish applied :?:

hello chas
could i just ask what you use to put your beautiful pens together, have you made a jig to do it(hopefully) and if you have, would you have a plan for it (again hopefully)
thanks
steve

stevebuk":enwwzojo said:
hello chas
could i just ask what you use to put your beautiful pens together...

Hi Steve, sorry only just seen your post.
I saw that you were having problems in Reg's thread and responded, you can see how I assemble my pens towards the end of this simple How To

Like the yew platter - lovely,simple shape;really lets the beauty of the wood speak for itself :D

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, (and everybody else that responds, just because I don't acknowledge don't think I don't appreciate).

Simple as it is the very dry Yew is quite difficult to finish I find, the slightest inattention when sanding through the grades and you are left with fine sanding scratch marks that only show up in certain light positions after you polish it.

I have another piece to tackle and need to experiment on preparation technique to see if I can get consistent results first time round.

CHJ wrote
the yew was out of some wide planks I bought way back in april/may 2006
If i'd have seen that Yew as well Chas i'd have bought it,very nice.
Was it a Yandles buy :?:

_________

_________ 5 x Beech + Cherry/Laburnum

_________

______________Laburnum (95mm)

Little bit more work and you would have had a nice apple there Chas. Nice shape.

I like the look of that piece Chas :D
Lovely colour,grain,and nice shape.
Amazing what comes out the scrap bin,or off cut bin :D

Did i see something on the tv recently about tea lighters not been made any more as they are causing too many fires :?

Nice to see that I'm not the only skinflint on here :lol:

Lovely little piece there Chas. Something special about using oddments and making something beautiful out of it isn't there?

Pete

Bodrighy":r5my2w83 said:
... Something special about using oddments and making something beautiful out of it isn't there?
Pete

Yes Pete, does give a gentle sort of glow when it comes out of the shed, problem I have, apart from a large quantity of such pieces is what to use them for, if it is something that will just collect dust it is not very welcome around here, although this and several other bits of Laburnum have an outlet as long as they don't involve too many man hours, turning them into intricate boxes etc. is hard to justify on sale price achievable.

__________so that grinding debris did not collect on the jig guides.

_________ ____click on image for larger view

__________Main requirement is for the supporting platform to be rigid so that the
__________inevitable differences in hand pressure whilst racking the cutter do not deflect it.

That looks another interesting jig Chas.
What have you used to dress the wheel,and have you used threaded bar where the knurled nuts are:?:
Could you put a pieces of plastic either side of the dresser to stop the debris,or just have the dresser poking through an hole drilled in the plastic.

Paul.J":sqtji38k said:
What have you used to dress the wheel,
A single point Diamond Dresser as used on surface grinders to true the wheels.
..have you used threaded bar where the knurled nuts are:?:
Yes 8mm studding running in an embedded 8mm tee nut
p1395826_l.jpg

plastic...have the dresser poking through a hole

That's an idea to try Paul, debris is not a major problem but just niggling that the jig needs a good vac out after using to prevent slide rod binding.

__________Yew, Laburnum/Cocobolo (315mm

Very nice,like the contrast :D - something else I keep meaning to try (not having an indexing ring on the K10 chuck yet keeps stopping me.. :lol: )

Andrew

Latest posts

Back