Silchester plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few comments or remnants of memories from Latin lessons nearly sixty years ago. The Romans were short. Caesar was meant to be tall and he was supposed to be about 5' 8" which makes low benches sensible I suppose. Roman soldiers were strong carrying up to 80lb weight at times on marches. These were the blokes who did the fighting, built the roads and bridges.
Can't guarantee the above figures and the teacher is probably long gone.
It's been a marvellous thread and I don't know if you've considered donating the plane(s) to a museum. It would bring the history to life.

Echo your sentiments about a "museum" Jim...but in a slightly different way.

I foresee a time where virtual interaction such as this forum will be intertwined with physical interaction in such a way as to be a "living" museum where all can see online...no matter where they are in the world...classic items like this can be spread by interest around the world and events such as MAC Timbers and hopefully others can be set up where interested parties can then actually touch and play with the plane.

I think this type of education far outweighs the traditional concept of shelves and displays in public buildings...

Jim

jimi43":1d55rgb7 said:
Echo your sentiments about a "museum" Jim...but in a slightly different way.

I foresee a time where virtual interaction such as this forum will be intertwined with physical interaction in such a way as to be a "living" museum where all can see online...no matter where they are in the world...classic items like this can be spread by interest around the world and events such as MAC Timbers and hopefully others can be set up where interested parties can then actually touch and play with the plane.

I think this type of education far outweighs the traditional concept of shelves and displays in public buildings...

Jim
Sounds good to me Jim.

Back