sharpening turning tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are times when scrapers need to be used and a fresh edge needed every few minutes so the cut rather than tear, try doing those quickly on an oil stone or diamond plate. .....
Actually there is a technique recommended, which is that you slip the scraper into the slot between the two halves of the oil stone box with the lid on, and work the scraper against the side of the stone. Have done it, it does work.

PS Just had a go as above, to remind myself. It's highly effective and very easy. If you did it a lot with the same box and stone I guess you'd wear a groove, but it'd would be the work of minutes to make a honing guide to use on the face of the stone - basically a bit of 2x1" with a saw kerf. The guide stays still and you work the scraper to and fro in the slot.
Might try it tomorrow I'd never thought of it before. :unsure:

Last edited:
Actually there is a technique recommended, which is that you slip the scraper into the slot between the two halves of the oil stone box with the lid on, and work the scraper against the side of the stone. Have done it, it does work.

PS Just had a go as above, to remind myself. It's highly effective and very easy. If you did it a lot with the same box and stone I guess you'd wear a groove, but it'd would be the work of minutes to make a honing guide to use on the face of the stone - basically a bit of 2x1" with a saw kerf. The guide stays still and you work the scraper to and fro in the slot.
Might try it tomorrow I'd never thought of it before. :unsure:
Might well work but I would have it touched up on the Pro-edges and back to the work long before you'd done it by hand.
And yes to your earlier question, while I go through spells of turning I do quite a lot. :)

It seems many use the tungsten inert tips for resin which are really scrapers as they don’t use the bevel but probably required for resin or the other popular turning of end grain now. Fashions change.
I have a couple Dave, home made as they are pretty easy and I had the TCT tips already, they do work but I don't really like them, much prefer standard HSS gouges and a skew even on resin and acrylic, I do have a selection of scrapers and use those as well but correctly ground they produce shavings rater than scrape. The wire edge doesn't last long though.
Nothing wrong with any methods, - even sharpening - if you're turning, woodworking, carving or whatever for recreation then whatever methods and tools give the most satisfaction it's right but also a personal choice, we're all individual.

Might well work but I would have it touched up on the Pro-edges and back to the work long before you'd done it by hand.
Actually does work and is very fast. Also is very precise and clean producing and edge with a burr already forming. Maintaining an edge takes seconds - Pro-edge couldn't possibly be faster.
I was surprised myself - I don't scrape a lot and would use a Stanley 80 with 45º bevel.

Actually does work and is very fast. Also is very precise and clean producing and edge with a burr already forming. Maintaining an edge takes seconds - Pro-edge couldn't possibly be faster.
I was surprised myself - I don't scrape a lot and would use a Stanley 80 with 45º bevel.
I may be wrong but I believe you have not realised this is about turning scrapers ?

I may be wrong but I believe you have not realised this is about turning scrapers ?
My thoughts exactly Andy, apple and pears comparison. :ROFLMAO:

I have the Record version of the Stanley 80 and certainly wouldn't put the blade on a pro edge, far too thin.

My thoughts exactly Andy, apple and pears comparison. :ROFLMAO:

I have the Record version of the Stanley 80 and certainly wouldn't put the blade on a pro edge, far too thin.
Oops yes you are right. Hadn't spotted it!
Turning scraper I'd do on the sanding disc on my lathe - and any other tool grinding not possible by freehand on a stone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back