Setting up a plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a #4 Faithful a few years ago then didn’t get chance to use it for a year or two as I moved house and workshop. When I came to use it I discovered it was needing a lot of fettling, luckily I’d just read Schwartz’s book on hand planes https://amzn.to/3SSj8k4 so I spent a day flattening everything that needed it (which was everything), and quite some time sharpening. When it was all done I managed some very fine passes on some knotty oak which I was rather chuffed with. The next day on my second pass the blade dug in quite badly so after some swearing I had a look at the plane and discovered the frog had loosened itself so I set it again and tightened it down. Turned out whatever I did the screws holding the frog down would work themselves out causing the blade to dig in.
I replaced it for a Clifton #4 and while it too needed fettling it wasn’t to the same degree as the Faithful and it hasn’t stopped cutting since.

I bought a #4 Faithful a few years ago then didn’t get chance to use it for a year or two as I moved house and workshop. When I came to use it I discovered it was needing a lot of fettling, luckily I’d just read Schwartz’s book on hand planes https://amzn.to/3SSj8k4 so I spent a day flattening everything that needed it (which was everything), and quite some time sharpening. When it was all done I managed some very fine passes on some knotty oak which I was rather chuffed with. The next day on my second pass the blade dug in quite badly so after some swearing I had a look at the plane and discovered the frog had loosened itself so I set it again and tightened it down. Turned out whatever I did the screws holding the frog down would work themselves out causing the blade to dig in.
I replaced it for a Clifton #4 and while it too needed fettling it wasn’t to the same degree as the Faithful and it hasn’t stopped cutting since.
That’s interesting and not something I would have thought of, quite possibly that was the op's problem?

I too am waiting, but I'll maybe just have to give up. Slainte.

sharpener.jpg

One of these.

I have a Faithful No.4 that works a charm. The sole took a LOT of flattening, but also the cap iron was well out of true.

Possibly worth mentioning that the bevel on the cap iron needs to be ground with the iron dropped off the side of the stone else the tip will be forced up when you tighten the screw and the cap iron is pulled flatter, leaving a lip to catch the shaving.

On the record plane, is the sole somehow horribly out of flat? That would cause the digging in shown in the pic as the nose of the plane leaves the board. Retract the blade and put a straight edge on it and take a look.

On Faithfull, very mixed experience, I have a reasonable shoulder plane, some diamond stones I used for years, and an acceptable chisel. I then made the mistake of buying a set of their carving chisels which are without doubt the worst woodworking tools I’ve ever bought.

By the way, there’s only one way to do sharpening, and that’s my way, everyone else’s way is wrong and can’t possibly work.

Watch richard maguire or Paul sellers videos on plane tuning, richard also has an excellent video on mating the cap to the iron. you'll also need to learn what sharp is have you flattened the back of the iron have you took the bevel to a wire edge did you get to a burr full width on reverse side
+1 for watching a couple of Paul Sellers videos. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but some of his videos can be very helpful. There are several on restoration and tuning of planes.

Hi @lee1596 - I don't know where in Essex you are located however if you want some hands-on assistance I am happy to oblige -I am based near Kelvedon.
PM me if that would work for you

Good to have a few 5s as well. Parts interchangeable with 4.
I didn't know that. I have a 5 that I bought cheaply at a flea market 30-odd years ago. When I got it home and stripped it down I discovered it had been dropped, cracking the main casting at the mouth. It had been welded and the weld ground flat. Still works fine.

In case anyone is interested, the issue definitely was the plane. I got the old record no5 going in about 10 minutes, (should have just started with that instead of assuming it would be difficult) bought a record no4 for £18 at an antique shop and got that going in 5 minutes, and a couple of wooden planes which didnt take that much longer. They all adjust much easier (even the old wooden planes), keep thier adjustment better and feel more solid. Its so much easier when you are starting with a good tool that was probably working when it was last put on a shelf, even if that might have been 100 years ago in the case of the wooden planes.

Well that’s brilliant, so now you know what it’s about, the sound of it when it’s set up really well and giving off that whisper as it gives such a terrific shiny smooth finish. Happy planing and don’t forget the candle.
Ian

Back