Sharpening chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mark270981":3fo4lew7 said:
lol Jimi - don't really need to - Just wanted to prove a point to a very condescending poster.

To the ladies and gents of this forum I apologize for my ramblings regarding this very sore subject

You could have put my name there, and pointed it out. I'd be tempted to say "pot, meet kettle" but then I'd be even more condescending, and we can't have that now can we.

Shaving looked painful...

I'm out. Sorry to have offended anyone. I'll not post again.

Stu.

Schtoo":9ybvcaip said:
Shaving looked painful...

Stu.

shavings always painful regardless of the blade you use, when you only have spit and a van side mirror to do it with. Must remember to bring some shaving foam with me next time you have a silly little unfounded rant

woodbloke":1qznk1bv said:
...... will ultimately lead to and edge like this. ......
Is there anything wrong with that edge? It appears to be straight (at the edge) and could well be 30º and quite OK though I guess it could do with a quick pass over a stone (face too).
They do look nice from a jig, but appearances don't matter, it's how it cuts that counts.

studders":345q48zj said:
Schtoo":345q48zj said:
I'm out.
Sorry to have offended anyone.
I'll not post again.

Stu.

Of the closet? The Office? Of Ciggies?
I wasn't the least bit offended.
That would be a shame.

Agreed...a great shame :( . Stu's insights into Japanese tools are invaluable (to me at least anyway) - Rob

Mark - out of interest, do you just use one stone (I can't imagine you have a whole plethora of grits to hone through in 10 seconds ). If so, I presume you re-grind between honings?

Just interested.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":3uwyj32i said:
Mark - out of interest, do you just use one stone (I can't imagine you have a whole plethora of grits to hone through in 10 seconds ). If so, I presume you re-grind between honings?

Just interested.

Cheers

Karl

just one stone, ultra fine indian something or other given to me when i was 16 by a master cabinet maker. Why would I need to regrind between honings? I only regrind when I damage the chisel edge.

So using an ultra fine stone, ten seconds on the whole bevel is enough to raise a burr?

Schtoo":2w9e5lah said:
I'm out. Sorry to have offended anyone. I'll not post again.
You're fairly new around here aren't you Stu. Discussions on sharpening usually get heated. Don't get pineappled-off, you've made some interesting contributions in the short time you've been here. It would be a shame to lose you (even if you are an Aussie (hammer) ).

Cheers, Vann.

mark270981":fsgt0xhy said:
I'm going to ask this question

Who here when they get a new chisel or plane blade and flatten the back of it on a sharpening stone until you achieve an almost mirror like finish and who doesn't?
I don't.
It's completely pointless.
If a plane blade face is not ideal then a fine bevel is the answer (the ruler trick - but freehand without a ruler is much easier) until with repeated flattenings with each honing, a bevel is no longer necessary.
With chisels I "flatten" just enough to get a good edge. Easy if the face is concave a touch, or hollow like a jap job (I guess - I've never had my hands on one). Basically put on more pressure near the end as you flatten it.

mark270981":3t1qycnh said:
Karl":3t1qycnh said:
So using an ultra fine stone, ten seconds on the whole bevel is enough to raise a burr?

yep - want me to post a video?
I'm slightly perplexed and confuzzled here :? What's the definition of an 'ultra fine stone'? I used to use a 10000g Spyderco ceramic, which is what I would call 'ulta-fine' and there's no way that a burr could be turned in 10 seconds on that stone. I suspect that if Mark is using a fine India (or similar, as indicated earlier) it's probably a lot coarser grit than my old 10000g Spyderco, in which case it's perfectly doable- Rob

Karl":3izo5lxb said:

If Mark's stone is marked (or believed to be) "indian", and it's from "back when", it's almost certainly a Norton India, which is Aluminum Oxide.

The finest stone in this range is called "fine" by Norton; the grit size is 43 micron, which is roughly the same as 320 grit sandpaper in Europe (FEPA).

And, yeah, that'll bring up a burr pretty nicely. Works well on cooks/carving knives too, leaving an aggressive, slightly toothy edge, excellent to tomatoes and meat.

BugBear

mark270981":3vz5ekoh said:
fine/ultra fine india it is

what on earth are you sharpening on a 10000g??

Mark, it that's what you're using (a Fine India) to get your 'sharp' edge, I might suggest that you drag yourself kicking and screaming :lol: into the 21st century and invest in gear that will give you a superfine edge instead of the saw-tooth that you currently seem to achieve...see BB's post above.

The 10000g Spyderco was used as a final polishing stone on Jap chisels, but I can now use (if I wish) a 1micron 3M film from Matt at WH which is around 12000g. If I really want to go to town though, I've got a .3micron film which is about 36000g or thereabouts - Rob

Or use some Solvol Autosol and 3-in-1 on a flat piece of wood

Woodenstrop.jpg

Super-quick, super-cheap and super-sharp 8)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

woodbloke":b10f2ydm said:
mark270981":b10f2ydm said:
fine/ultra fine india it is

what on earth are you sharpening on a 10000g??

Mark, it that's what you're using (a Fine India) to get your 'sharp' edge, I might suggest that you drag yourself kicking and screaming :lol: into the 21st century and invest in gear that will give you a superfine edge instead of the saw-tooth that you currently seem to achieve...see BB's post above.

The 10000g Spyderco was used as a final polishing stone on Jap chisels, but I can now use (if I wish) a 1micron 3M film from Matt at WH which is around 12000g. If I really want to go to town though, I've got a .3micron film which is about 36000g or thereabouts - Rob

Here's my version of it (Ooops, forgot the picture!) -

IMG-20110527-00006.jpg

5 microns, 1 micron, 0.3 microns all on a nice flat granite surface plate.

Interestingly the 5 micron 3M film produces a finer finish than my 4000 grit water stone, even though it is nominally courser?

Peter T":betuzblj said:
Interestingly the 5 micron 3M film produces a finer finish than my 4000 grit water stone, even though it is nominally courser?

Grit size isn't the whole story.

BugBear

Back