Sharpening chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mark270981":c865d7gw said:
I'm going to ask this question

Who here when they get a new chisel or plane blade and flatten the back of it on a sharpening stone until you achieve an almost mirror like finish and who doesn't?

I don't :mrgreen:

Jim

Chisels, yes. Wider ones because I like to use the reflection for cutting miters, narrower ones because it takes so little to do, and it makes is easy to see if it's flat.
Plane blades I'll stop if the last 1/4" of the business end is polished. I don't ruler trick normally.

And on the OT, I don't use a jig for honing. It took ten minutes to learn to freehand, and a day in the workshop to get consistently working sharp - and some stuff can't be done in a jig, so it's a skill everyone will need at some point.

mark270981":155qfd2q said:

Who here when they get a new chisel or plane blade and flatten the back of it on a sharpening stone until you achieve an almost mirror like finish and who doesn't?

It depends.

If it's something like a Marples, the first inch polished is enough, so long as the back is 'flat' enough.

But every new chisel I've bought for my own amusement in the last year has been a Koyamaichi, and they're already flat. I just need a minute to make them polished, so why not spend that minute?

Stu.

There's being flat then there is having a mirror like finish once this has been achieved, honing your chisels free hand are a piece of water, cause effectively you have done the hard work - i know some manufacturers will do this for you as standard but you pay a premium for this.

I know this a big debate and it has gone on in here since day dot - but it really is the simplest way for the majority of us just takes a little practice.

It takes me around 10 strokes to put a sharp edge on one of my blades, so roughly 10 seconds, if using a jig comes even close to that i will be totally amazed.

Mr Fujikawa's finest from Matt at WH have taken quite a lot of effort to get the backs flat and polished, 'specially some of the wider ones :shock: Some of them had a 'bump' just behind the cutting edge which took some time to remove, they're all good now and have been polished to the requisite 'mirror' (or as close as makes no odds) finish
Veritas LA plane blades now come lapped :mrgreen: so are dead flat to start with... a quick swipe with the 'ruler trick' is all that's needed on the backs - Rob

mark270981":2vmi5bdf said:
I am sorry, but I was always always taught that any joiner/cabinet maker who is worth is salt should be able hone free hand

In that case I disagree with your teacher. :)

BugBear

mark270981":1epch4px said:

I flatten so that during normal sharpening the finest abrasive used on the back reaches all the way to the edge. Otherwise you can't remove the burr without introducing a back bevel.

If the back is flat enough for this, polishing is so very easy (just work through the grits) the question (for me) is - why not?

BugBear

bugbear":3c95klpy said:
mark270981":3c95klpy said:
I am sorry, but I was always always taught that any joiner/cabinet maker who is worth is salt should be able hone free hand

In that case I disagree with your teacher. :)

BugBear
+1...and my teacher(s) were Barnsley trained - Rob

mark270981":2lxusqex said:
It takes me around 10 strokes to put a sharp edge on one of my blades, so roughly 10 seconds, if using a jig comes even close to that i will be totally amazed.

Perhaps, but your definition of 'sharp' and my definition of 'sharp' are likely on a completely different planet.

If I use a jig, it takes about 5 minutes to sharpen a decent sized chisel. If I skip the jig, then maybe 2 minutes. But I don't expect to need to sharpen that chisel again until it's done a full day's work. I've never understood the 'sharpen often' mantra. If the tool is of decent quality and sharpened properly, then it shouldn't need 'just a touch up' for a long time.

As these thread are always destined to become train wrecks, most especially instigated by those with a rabidly irrational distaste for jigs, why are they ever started?

Answer, because the poor souls who start them are looking to get their tools sharp, and to be able to do it every single time. If a jig of some description is a necessity for them to get their tools properly sharp every single time, then who am I, you or anybody else to tell them otherwise?

Now, for how sharp I like my tools...

Take your chisel, freshly sharpened and shave hair. Not that wispy rubbish on your arm, tidy up your sideburns, trim the mo. If your chisels and plane blades are not that sharp, then go learn to sharpen properly and then come back and tell us all we don't know what we're doing.

Ok?

I'll even give you a picture for inspiration. Sharpened free hand so I don't upset your sensibilities...

IMGP2940-Medium.jpg

And folks wonder why I am trying to stay away from forums. Everyone's got an axe to grind... :roll:

Stu.

Amateur sharpener.

Does the foam have rust preventitive properties Schtoo? :wink:

I think you will find it works better if you stack five chisels on top of each other :mrgreen:

Jim

Amateur Comedian.

I don't polish mine - flat is good enough. Having them mirror polished - what does that gain me? Does it mean I can cut thru oak like a knife thru butter or be more productive, make more money\profit? I suspect not - so I don't bother.

I'm sorry, but getting bogged down and hung up on tools is not really of interest - being more productive is of interest as is learning newer techniques, etc.

Dibs

Schtoo":2ya98r8m said:
Now, for how sharp I like my tools...

Take your chisel, freshly sharpened and shave hair. Not that wispy rubbish on your arm, tidy up your sideburns, trim the mo. If your chisels and plane blades are not that sharp, then go learn to sharpen properly and then come back and tell us all we don't know what we're doing.

Ok?

Stu.

Amateur sharpener.

Put your handbag away

i'd thought id try it so giving my chisel a tickle on the stone then shaved some of my facial hair, works a treat, not as satisfying as doing it without shaving foam though as i have rather sensitive skin so will probably pay for it later.

All I am saying is if I can free hand hone then anyone can.

oops almost forgot the evidence

P1010095.JPG

P1010108.JPG

Dibs-h":v67cpi9u said:
I don't polish mine - flat is good enough. Having them mirror polished - what does that gain me? Does it mean I can cut thru oak like a knife thru butter or be more productive, make more money\profit? I suspect not - so I don't bother.

I'm sorry, but getting bogged down and hung up on tools is not really of interest - being more productive is of interest as is learning newer techniques, etc.

Dibs

Dibs - I am going to leave this argument i think where it is - as always you have hit the nail on the head if its sharp to cut the end grain of say oak its simply sharp enough for what it is used for, a razor needs to be razor sharp.

Anyway my closing argument on this is simple.

carry on doing whatever (as in the readership) you think is best, I have my way and it works perfectly well for me, in my eyes its the simplest quickest and most commercially viable way for me to do it and as i have said before - if I can do it, anyone can (within reason)

lol Jimi - don't really need to - Just wanted to prove a point to a very condescending poster.

To the ladies and gents of this forum I apologize for my ramblings regarding this very sore subject

For chopping mortices and rough work, a mirror finish is pointless, but for cutting perfect mitres on fine detail trim pieces it's really helps judge angles. Horses for courses...

mark270981":f7ek5tr0 said:
Dibs - I am going to leave this argument i think where it is - as always you have hit the nail on the head if its sharp to cut the end grain of say oak its simply sharp enough for what it is used for, a razor needs to be razor sharp.

Anyway my closing argument on this is simple.

carry on doing whatever (as in the readership) you think is best, I have my way and it works perfectly well for me, in my eyes its the simplest quickest and most commercially viable way for me to do it and as i have said before - if I can do it, anyone can (within reason)

No probs Mark - it's been one of the most civil (and amusing) discussions around these parts for ages! :mrgreen:

I learnt a little late in life that for me to be right, doesn't mean you are wrong (and vice versa) as we are discussing subjective matters and what may work for one may not be the best (or indeed) work for another. If they were quantitative matters - there would only one answer! :lol:

Dibs

mark270981":2qxlogh5 said:
lol Jimi - don't really need to - Just wanted to prove a point to a very condescending poster.

To the ladies and gents of this forum I apologize for my ramblings regarding this very sore subject

Which you did so beautifully Mark! 8)

Now...must dash (geddit!)...got some wood shaving to do :wink:

Jim

Back