sewing box made 42 years ago

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
One of our daughters has requested a sewing box she knew was knocking around somewhere (it was in the loft).
I reckon I built this for the wife 42 years ago and that daughter was around 9 years old at the time.

It has worn well over the years, just the one coat of yacht varnish at the time and made with Sweet Chestnut and constructed with nothing but hand tools and an electric drill.
I have had to fit a new lift up knob and put a stop bar to one of the box sections today and it now awaits its new home.

1w.jpg

2w.jpg

3w.jpg

Attachments

• 1w.jpg
    1w.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,054
  • 2w.jpg
    2w.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,054
  • 3w.jpg
    3w.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,054
That's nice Woody...I havnt made a thing yet apart from my bench and and my tablesaw/router table mod.
My mum wants me to make her a sewing box this one looks good!.

Steve

It must be a nice feeling that your children actually want things from your house that they remember from their childhood and even better that it is something you made yourself.
We have started the process of downsizing and need to get rid of some furniture all is in good condition and is both Jaycee and Stag but none of the family have any interest.
I am also ashamed to say that in my workshop there is an unfinished nest of tables that I made in my last year of school for my mother some 45 years ago that has to be the longest unfinished project on record.

I seem to recall the plan came from a woodwork/diy type magazine and was described at the time as a shoe box.(to hold cleaning materials and the slope to place your foot on perhaps) But I adapted it slightly to create it as a sewing box.

Back