Sedwick MB planer thicknesser questions... and manual needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fetteler

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I've just jouned the forum and am looking forward to getting to know you all as I learn and have wookwork related fun :D

My latest (and most serious) addidion to my workshop is a Sedwick MB planer thicknesser. Yet to arrive but boy am I looking forward to it!

So, firstly the obvious question.... Does anyone have a copy of the manual (preferably a scan or pdf) that I can use whilst commissioning, setting up etc? I've lookied on the web of course, and all I can find are copies for recent models. Mine is about 30 years old I guess - it's a green one and it looks very similar to the attached image:
Sedgwick_MB.jpg

Secondly, another obvious question!! When I go to collect and load the machine, what's the best way to safely lift it? I have read a post somewhere last night which describes slinging under the thicknesser table but I'm afraid (it's probably me being daft :? ) I didn't really understand where the lifting tackle was going... surely the weight can't be taken on the thicknesser table without doing some damage somewhere??
Many thanks one and all :)

Cheers for now,
Steve.

Attachments

• Sedgwick_MB.jpg
    Sedgwick_MB.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 147
Welcome Steve, read the manual before lifting, it'll have clear advice on where to lift and where not to lift. Normally planer tables are strictly no go areas!

custard":2qfmweyg said:
Welcome Steve, read the manual before lifting, it'll have clear advice on where to lift and where not to lift. Normally planer tables are strictly no go areas!
Thanks for your reply Custard - sage advice indeed! If I manage to obtain a copy of the manual :wink: I will certainly read it :)

Cheers,
Steve.

However much they look like convenient handles, never man handle planers by their tables.
Wind down the thicknesser table and pass two 4 x2 timbers through and carry the machine with two or four people in the manner of a sedan chair (with no occupant!).
Unless you want lots of work re-setting the machine, don't be tempted to take the tables off to get it to fit in a car. Use a van or trailer.

I used my scissor lift pallet truck and lifted it level with the bed of my T4 and cornered it in!
Make sure you have 3 people present and be careful they weigh a tonne!!!!!
I don't have a manual but if you obtain one I'd love a copy.

It's a wonderful beast .... Enjoy

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my first post - the method of lifting never involved using the planer tables...
The manual for the current model (readily available online, just google sedgwick MB manual) has clear instructions and I am sure that the method outlined in it is the one I misunderstood from last night. For those who may be interested, here's the quote from the relevant page:

Always use a sling within the safe working load of the machine weight (stated as 390 kg elsewhere...) Before lifting, place a piece of wood onto the thicknessing bed, sufficiently long to lock up against the cutterblock (ensure that it does not foul the knives) and both feed rollers. Wind the bed up using the Thicknessing Rise and Fall Handwheel until the wood is firmly locked into position. Sling underneath the machine's thickness table extension rollers. Do not walk or stand under the machine during lifting.

So one problem solved - I know how to load it in and out of my trailer!

Someone somewhere out there must have a manual for the old green ones like mine!!.... I've got all my fingers (and toes!) crossed. [-o<

Pics and a blurb on exactly what I come home with will follow I'm sure.

Cheers,
Steve.

Hi,
Have a look on Daltons Machines. They have a section for manuals and I believe your Sedgwick is amounts them. You need to look in Both the old and new machines.

hwww.daltonsmachines.com/downloads.html

The machines have not changed much over the years the principles remain the same. The manual shows clearly how to sling the machine.

If your still in any doubts contact Sedgwick in Leeds they are simply brilliant and can also advise on any spares you may need. They are a low volume manufacture who source I believe everything in the Uk. For this reason prices for spares are high.

Back