Second hand machinery - rust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb94

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m looking at picking up a bandsaw for my workshop - sabre 250 looks to be a winner but I’d probably have to save up for it given the price, and could do with it now for a project I’m working on.

I’ve turned my attention to eBay and noticed a few of the BS250 and other brands bidding cheap, but they look like they’ve seen better days, some worse than others - have heavy surface rust on the cast iron table and some of the adjustment bolts have a bit of surface rust also.

I’m no stranger to restoring rusty hand planes etc and have dealt with rust on my table saw when it was stored in damp conditions years ago.

Anyone have any experience picking up one of these such machines and turning it round, and are there any parts I should particularly pay attention to given the surface rust if I viewed one in person?

Or do I need a reality check and save for a new machine? Cheers, appreciate the collectives input.

Maybe post an eBay link to the typical machine in which you have an interest (but not one that you would actually buy - perhaps one at the other end of the country). We can all look at the photos and say 'pay attention to this' or 'that sort of thing could be tricky to solve'.

Rust on a cast iron table is the easiest of any problem to solve. Missing parts are difficult. Electrical issues at worst just need money to solve (but putting an old pulley on a new motor can have challenges).

Maybe post an eBay link to the typical machine in which you have an interest (but not one that you would actually buy - perhaps one at the other end of the country). We can all look at the photos and say 'pay attention to this' or 'that sort of thing could be tricky to solve'.

Rust on a cast iron table is the easiest of any problem to solve. Missing parts are difficult. Electrical issues at worst just need money to solve (but putting an old pulley on a new motor can have challenges).
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14577422...lcX9jeFRC6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/39519728...lcX9jeFRC6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

For example, annoyingly the used examples I’ve seen without these issues are almost at retail price

If I wanted one, neither of the two would give me any cause for concern. 20-30 minutes work to polish up the table, wax it and it's good for for a year until you re-wax it.

I'd be negotiating over including the Workmate with the Record one and ask the seller what the plastic bag is tied to the Metabo one.

Advice; DONT
the rust is not the problem it’s the guide rollers, tension guide, the wheels ether band runs on
The guide roller perish rot and things get out of alinement
It cost me over 100 gbp to get dads restored after it had not been used for some years, it looked in good order until it was opened up

Advice; DONT
the rust is not the problem it’s the guide rollers, tension guide, the wheels ether band runs on
The guide roller perish rot and things get out of alinement
It cost me over 100 gbp to get dads restored after it had not been used for some years, it looked in good order until it was opened up
Cheers for that, this is what I was worried about, also whether I could get hold of spare parts if they needed replacing.

Latest posts

Back