scroll saw newbie can anyone give advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saintuk

Reaction score
Hi

I have been reading the posts about various scroll saws and i am still unsure of which one to get. I know that most of you use the saws for woodworking purposes but i am looking to use it for occasional wood work e.g bases for sculptures but also for cutting things like foam core boards. I have looked at screw fix who offer a budget one but it only holds pin blades and and i have heard that they are limiting. Would you suggest going for something like the dremel that is advertised on amazon or actually going for something that is a bit more substantial for the long term.

Screwfix budget saw is 49.99 and the amazon dremel is 89.99. i was looking at a budget of 100-150 and i am looking at ebay but i am a tad worried about their condition as i dont to pay for something that breaks down on me.

the info would be much appreciated.
nikki

Forget the Dremel one Nikki as its not exactly a proper scroll saw, the Screwfix one would be more suitable and would cut wood as well as the foam core boards. Your right about the pinned blades you should look out for one that will use both pinned and pinless...have you looked on the Axminster website? (http://www.axminster.co.uk/machinery/saws/scroll-saws) something like the Titan should be ok and it does use both types of blades (Titan Scroll Saw Manual http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com ... 403442.pdf)...... there has been a few problems with saws in the past which caused problems with people trying to do detailed scrollwork etc but if you are only cutting basic stuff you should be ok.
Both Axminster and Screwfix are very good if you have a problem and will refund if your not happy with the saws.
Hope this helps and there should be some of the other scrollers along later who will have more info on saws
Cheers
Brian

ps welcome to the forum :cool:

You need only fast saw change system.
And variable speed regulator.
And literally saw could be made from wood.

pin blades and and i have heard that they are limiting
So you heard wrong....... this system is terrible! Horror, terror, disappointment ,depression.
By using pin saws deepest despair in yourself and lose hope.

LOL Dominik is right Nikki.......... also Scrollsaws can send you nuts Dominik is a perfect example! lol

Brian

My first sawwas a titan basic model from screwfix and it was great for the price. If you genuinely only want to cut shapes with no twiddly internal cuts, why spend money you don't need to :D

Exactly, my first one was a Ferm with pinned blades that cost me nothing. I made some reasonably detailed stuff with that.

thanks for the help. I will look at the ones mentioned and see which one catches my eye. I think if i was going to do more with it i would pay more money but like you said i dont need to, why should i. I did look at the Axminister and the ferm but wasnt sure if they were the right ones for me. i will go back and double check and read up more on them.

Thanks for the info!!
Nikki

Welcome to the forum.

You might also want to have a look at this one - https://www.lumberjacktools.co.uk/category-scroll-saw-2046

I haven't used this but it looks good for the price and importantly has the quick release tension I mentioned in this thread - https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/draper-saw-t98552.html (third post).

For the work that you have mentioned the quick release may not be an absolute necessity but it really does make life easier when changing blades (and releasing them to thread through holes for internal cuts). if you ever do get into more detailed work, which I am sure you will once you start playing, you will really appreciate this feature.

Phill

Just to add, a £50 scrollsaw bolted to a heavy workbench/stand will be just as enjoyable to use as a £300 scrollsaw that isn't bolted down.

Claymore":2ndlwyx6 said:
Phill who's the cutie on you avatar picture? what's his/her name?

Brian

He's Spot. I'm afraid he is gone now but he was such a loving dog, for anyone interested read more at - http://westraywebdesign.co.uk/2013/05/in-memory-of-spot/.

In the photo he knows he's in trouble for getting so dirty ferreting around under the car, so he grabbed his lead and turned on the "eyes" with let's go for a walk...

I nearly used a headshot of Oscar as my avatar but I have used this photo of Spot for my avatar in so many places already I just couldn't bring myself to use anything else.

Phill

Whatever you choose, get one with a quick-release knob at the back.
It's so tedious having to unscrew the back knob to change a blade, then having to screw the back knob down again to the right tension.
I used to have a Ferm with a screw-type back knob.
Chucked it, got a SIP.

Whatever you end up with, enjoy it.

Bruce

there are mods you can do to make them more user friendly, swapping the allen screws and tension knobs for quick release bolts that are used on bike wheels is a cheap fix,

Back