Rolly Munro Hollowing Tool Arrived

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
My much anticipated tool arrived today so had to take it for a test drive (a very modest one)
Never having done anything like vase's before (nearest attempted thus far was a goblet) I was pleased with the first attempt. I found the tool very responsive and able to be very fine in detail. I was however disappointed by the top screw fixing knob which was nothing like others I have seen. Gone was the "golfball" and in it's place a cheap and nasty half knob. I have reported my disatisfaction to Brimarc and will advise outcome. I realllly think the knob provided lets down an otherwise superb tool.
Back to the "test Drive". Paulm gave me some chestnut when I visited him last Sunday so I didn't want it to go off!
It has an open grain a bit like Ash which made it difficult to get a good finish but the Rolly tool cut it better on the inside than I did with a gouge on the outside.
The tool has given me the confidenece to try the "hollow forms" that have hitherto been beyond me so I look forward to trying to broaden my horizons.
img0301pn.jpg

looks great to me for your first time, but dont be affraid to use the Roly on the outside too, its not just for hollowing.
He did an amazing demo at axminster a couple of months ago and used it to turn an entire hollow form outside and in.. :lol: :lol:

It can be used for making bowls etc as Steve intimated it works well on the outside. A very versatile tool you lucky s*d.

Enjoy

Nice looking goblet by the way.

pete

That looks good Colin, can I have it back now then please :lol:

You are showing a good eye for form for someone starting out, so well done and glad you are enjoying the the new tool.

Sounds like they are shipping with a cheaper knob which would be a bit of a shame, you could always turn up a nice wooden customised one to suit perhaps ?

Cheers, Paul :D

Hi
You are right it was only minutes to get a feel for it.
Biggest thing was the adjustment of the cutting guide, with a minute adjustment making a huge difference.
The rotation of the tool anticlockwise I found the easiest way to refine the cut for the finer finishing. I was pleasantly surprised at how sensitive it was so you could still feel the higher spots to then trim it back. I felt I was getting a smooth fine cut.
Paul, you're welcome to your wood back, but it might get broken wrestling it fromSWMBO who has taken a liking to it!
Cheers
Colin

Very nice form Colin, must get meself one of those Roly`s. Ill see what they are going for at Harrogate next month :lol:
Steve

looking good Colin.

It is a good tool, looking forward to seeing some more pieces.

Take care

Mark

Well done Colin =D>

I had the same reaction to the change in design of the knob and said so to Rolly. The change came about because some couldn't get enough grip on the ball one to tighten it so Rolly responded by searching for another design which would solve this problem. The present knob is the result and allows the user to get a better purchase on it.

If you want to do a swap for the old style ball knob let me know.

Mark

Hi Mark
Thanks for your kind offer.
I have had a swift reply from Axminster, who "completely agreed" with my comments on the substitute half knob, and have confirmed they are sending out "the proper fitting for the tool".
Regards
Colin

Update Note: New Knob arrived as promised today (Tuesday 12/10/2010)
Thanks To Axminster - That is customer service!

Back