Record No. 4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithkarl2007

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Stay-Set No. 4 for €9 last Sunday at a Market. The body, blade and chipbreaker had been painted black and the handles red. Stay-Set caught my eye and I never looked over it fully. Taking it apart I found that it has the frog that has a groove milled in it but didn't have the screw that adjusts the frog forward and back. Has anybody got a photo of this so I can see what to look out for?

This is a photo of the frog.

Attachments

• frog_large_4.jpg
    frog_large_4.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,402
There is no hole on the back of the frog for the screw in the plate. I think it may be a special screw with a larger disc machined onto it, similar to the screw you've pointed out that goes directly into the plane body.

Typical, found a photo of it further down the page where I found the above photo. The screw is the one on the second image.

Attachments

• plane_body_left.jpg
    plane_body_left.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,349
There's a similar thread going on the Calvert Stevens CS88 that shows a varient of the screw you want (the CS88 version would fit your plane).

You best bet would be to try people who supply second-hand parts, or to have one made. Neither option is likely to be cheap :roll:

I have a Record-Marples SP4 (handyman version of the Record 04) - dating to ~1995-98 which has the same groove machined in the bottom of the frog, but the base has not been tapped for the screw. Apparently the SP4 didn't come with an adjuster (so why machine the groove in the frog? #-o ).

The two piece cap-iron is worth having, IMHO (people either love them, or hate them with a passion). You could even keep an eye out for an older Record or Stanley and swap the cap-iron into the better, older plane. Your plane is too new and therefore the chances of a sh#tter are much higher - 'though you may have stumbled on a good one.

Cheers, Vann.

Thanks Vann. The larger screw above sat into the groove and helped with the adjusting. It's no big deal if I can't find a screw for it. I could leave it set up as a scrub plane, I have another no. 4. Just couldn't pass it up.

katellwood":214zza26 said:
Funnily enough I have just copied one for a CS88 for a fellow member who's snapped

Cannot be too hard to fabricate. If the thread is the same as the CS88 then its 1/4 x 24tpi

Take a look

calvert-stevens-cs88-t69500.html

Couldn't tell you what thread it is to be honest. All I know is that the standard adjusting screw fits the base I have the frog on.

keithkarl2007":2phzxmn3 said:
I could leave it set up as a scrub plane, I have another no. 4. Just couldn't pass it up.
If it was mine, I'd move the Stay-Set parts to the other No.4 (a 2-piece cap-iron on a scrub would probably be of no benefit). To avoid developing a dislike of 2-piece cap-irons (and to avoid sore toes) get into the habit of holding down the "deflector" with your forefinger whenever you remove or re-install the irons (a tip from Paul Chapman).

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back