Recommendations for a new set of chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually grip twe wrong size of spanner and discover it when I am already laying under the car..... and have to crawl out of there........

I keep my chisels in their rack on the wall above the workbench. Easy to reach. I built the rack to protect the chisel edges so the blades are not visible when in the rack. I recognize them by the handle. As new needs have arisen I have bought more chisels and extended the rack twice. There are over 30 chisels and gouges of various types in the rack right now.
Each to his own...... but this is the way I work.

Historically most chisel sets were missmatched. Starting out with a chisel set of low quality is not a good idea as bad steel has made many talented beginners believe that they cannot learn woodworking. It is impossible to foresee all future needs when buying your first chisel set not to mention the huge startup cost if you were going to buy high quality chisels and gouges of every available size and model at once just in case you would ever need it. Over decades of use some sizes wear out while others don't get very much use. Chisels may get lost or break however har we try to prewent this from happening. Makers and models come and go so the missing ones will have to be replaced with chisels of the same type from another maker. Not to mention the secondhand market where you can find good quality chisels for little money. Secondhand chisels are usually missmatched because that is how chisels naturally occur in old workshops.

Back