Recommendations for a new set of chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

Graham is right, of course, dodges can be employed to get the chisel into corners. but I did say fine dovetails. There often is not enough space to angle a chisel In the very narrow space between very close tails, you have to chop straight down. And of course tails are just one half of the issue, half blind sockets need the chisel to go straight down, or it is very difficult to clear the waste right into the corners. A pair of skewed chisels is handy here, if the chisel lands are too heavy. I used a pair of skews for years, and a chisel ground into a sharp triangle cross section to deal with the stubborn clinging bits in the corners of half blinds.

The Stanley Sweetheart chisels are nice tools, and supplemented with a couple of skews would make a great set, capable of fine dovetail work, too.

Mike.

JohnPW":2vyj554n said:
lurker":2vyj554n said:
RogerP":2vyj554n said:
If you already have many good chisels why do you need a "set"?

I had the same thought, but it's his money!

I suppose it's a reason, if you need a reason.

But mismatched chisels (handles) have the advantage of them being easier to identify amongst your tools simply because they're all different.

I allways see this comment when it comes to vintage chisels...
When you go to grab a chisel are they in a drawer muddles up and is the light off?
I've never grabbed one of my "matched" chisels and gone "oh" its the wrong size!

This isn't ment to be a dig... But how long does it take to glance at your tools to choose one. When I do woodwork it's at a enjoyable pace not rush rush rush so 3second to see what I'm doing isn't a loss..

TT

Hello,

I've just noticed that the OP and I lve in the same area. If he would like to try before he buys, PM me and we'll work something out.

Mike.

woodbrains":2sefvv0s said:
Hello,

I have a set of the Stanley Sweetheart chisels.... The lands are too thick for fine dovetailing,

Could you quantify that - how thick are they, on (say) the 1/4" width specimen?

BugBear

bugbear":3nanrurh said:
woodbrains":3nanrurh said:
Hello,

I have a set of the Stanley Sweetheart chisels.... The lands are too thick for fine dovetailing,

Could you quantify that - how thick are they, on (say) the 1/4" width specimen?

BugBear

Hello,

It just so happens, I have the set at home with me. They all seem to have lands about as thick as a 50 pence coin, or 2 pence on the thicker ones, at the tips. They do get thicker further up the blade, so sharpening will eventually cause thickening, though this is the same for most chisels. (AI chisels excepted)

I should have mentioned that they had very nicely ground flat sides, which were very quick to prepare, especially compared to modern Stanley contactor types, Record Blue chip etc. also, the socket to blade junction has to pass a very vigorous QC during manufacture, so the chisels are VERY strong, belying their delicate feel. I do like them a lot.

Mike.

woodbrains":3e8ww2vj said:
Hello,

Graham is right, of course, dodges can be employed to get the chisel into corners.
It's not a "dodge" it's "how you do it".
but I did say fine dovetails. There often is not enough space to angle a chisel In the very narrow space between very close tails, you have to chop straight down.
You use a narrow chisel and if necessary bevel the edges (of the chisel) with a file. Again this is not a "dodge" this is "how you do it".
If money is no object you can clutter up your workspace with special tools for every little task and arrange them in picturesque matching sets, but it isn't usually necessary. Just keeps tool sellers happy. Soddem I say!

Jacob":i6y2mpgp said:
You use a narrow chisel and if necessary bevel the edges (of the chisel) with a file. Again this is not a "dodge" this is "how you do it".

Decent chisels are too hard to file. Which brands have you filed?

BugBear

Jacob":2gdwa1tx said:
woodbrains":2gdwa1tx said:
Hello,

Graham is right, of course, dodges can be employed to get the chisel into corners.
but I did say fine dovetails. There often is not enough space to angle a chisel In the very narrow space between very close tails, you have to chop straight down.
If money is no object you can clutter up your workspace with special tools for every little task and arrange them in picturesque matching sets, but it isn't usually necessary. Just keeps tool sellers happy. Soddem I say!

Hello,

I did say I have ground chisels to fit into tight spaces. You can't file chisels though! Some tool makers have as much pride in their work to make the tools right in the first place, as I have in using them, doing my best work. It is nice to have tools made correctly, so I can use them correctly. You can't angle a chisel in a space that is no wider than its width, so fine lands are necessary, the dodge will not work in many cases.

Mike.

bugbear":1hlznhfp said:
Jacob":1hlznhfp said:

Decent chisels are too hard to file. Which brands have you filed?

BugBear
Dunno didn't look.
I've just got one for narrow DTs (and corners of wide ones if needed). It's all you need. I'll dig it out and see if it has a brand - I'd guess Sorby - it's an old one with wooden handle, but it could be anything, Chinese even.

It seems that anything short of buying a new tool is now a 'dodge.' And some people alter a tool to fit the work ---- and then buy a new tool anyway, I guess because it feels good.

Confusing times.

woodbrains":bl27u9kb said:
Jacob":bl27u9kb said:
woodbrains":bl27u9kb said:
Hello,

Hello,

I did say I have ground chisels to fit into tight spaces. You can't file chisels though! Some tool makers have as much pride in their work to make the tools right in the first place, as I have in using them, doing my best work. It is nice to have tools made correctly, so I can use them correctly. You can't angle a chisel in a space that is no wider than its width, so fine lands are necessary, the dodge will not work in many cases.

Mike.
If you can't file, then grind.
There's that word again: "correctly" :lol: Woodbrains speaking from the house of correction. :shock:

CStanford":3dppruwo said:
It seems that anything short of buying a new tool is now a 'dodge.' And some people alter a tool to fit the work ---- and then buy a new tool anyway, I guess because it feels good.

Confusing times.
:lol:
Persuading you that you need to buy an unnecessary tool is a well known tool seller's "dodge".

Considering how cheap a 1/4" bevel-edged chisel can be found for at the bootsales etc, isn't this debate about what is or isn't a "dodge" rather moot?

tobytools":2d2a34wm said:
This isn't ment to be a dig... But how long does it take to glance at your tools to choose one. When I do woodwork it's at a enjoyable pace not rush rush rush so 3second to see what I'm doing isn't a loss..TT
I agree, otherwise mechanics would be driven mad with all their sockets and open-enders.

JimB":2cbjf2m6 said:
tobytools":2cbjf2m6 said:
This isn't ment to be a dig... But how long does it take to glance at your tools to choose one. When I do woodwork it's at a enjoyable pace not rush rush rush so 3second to see what I'm doing isn't a loss..TT
I agree, otherwise mechanics would be driven mad with all their sockets and open-enders.

You've seen workshop shadow boards, with their nice outline for each spanner, each spanner in its place, right?

:D

BugBear

Toby has a good point but he also has the excellent eye sight of a man in his twenties. Can't really comment as none of mine match, maybe the joy of a complete set is it teaches good working practice eg organisation ?

I keep my socket set in the case provided as opposed to a bucket.

I'll be sticking with my mismatched sets, not fussed about the speed its the work flow and state of mind.

bugbear":31rd4pt7 said:
You've seen workshop shadow boards, with their nice outline for each spanner, each spanner in its place, right? :D BugBear
As long as you have long arms when you're working under a car. :lol:

Back