reclaimed woods, metal finders / detectors?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higon

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of using some reclaimed wood but I'm not sure how to check that it is clear of old nails and other rubbish. Any suggestions on something to find the nasties?

I seem to recall that 'Norm' uses a wand type gizmo but can't find the correct search term for it...

a decent stiff brush would also be a good idea, to get rid of any surface grit.The other trick that i have seen recommended is to use a belt sander before putting it through any machines, so if you have missed anything it only damages a sanding belt rather than dinking a blade. It will also give you a cleaner view of what may have been hidden in grubbyness.

marcros":626quknw said:
a decent stiff brush would also be a good idea, to get rid of any surface grit.The other trick that i have seen recommended is to use a belt sander before putting it through any machines, so if you have missed anything it only damages a sanding belt rather than dinking a blade. It will also give you a cleaner view of what may have been hidden in grubbyness.

Thats a very good couple of ideas there! thanks for that.

If you can find one for hire, Makita do (or did) a very effective rotary brush, a bit like a handheld version of those road sweepers they sometimes use to clear mud after roadworks. With a steel bristle brush, it shifts an awful lot of crud for relatively little effort and doesn't dig in like a wire brush in an angle grinder might.
If I still lived near MK, you could borrow mine, but a 1000 mile round trip to borrow it might not be economical :(

dickm":2g71cdok said:
If you can find one for hire, Makita do (or did) a very effective rotary brush, a bit like a handheld version of those road sweepers they sometimes use to clear mud after roadworks. With a steel bristle brush, it shifts an awful lot of crud for relatively little effort and doesn't dig in like a wire brush in an angle grinder might.
If I still lived near MK, you could borrow mine, but a 1000 mile round trip to borrow it might not be economical :(

I have a similar thing i think, they used to sell them out of Screwfix.. but I haven't seen them in the recent catalog. ah here they are tool station, although the bristles are nylon, is this the sort of thing you mean?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow...asives/Nylon+Brush+Cup+75mm/d80/sd1920/p90287

The garrett and the other one look very nice but ouch to the cost! lol.

I pretty sure dickm is referring to this...

3urugy2a.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408143906856.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408143906856.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 167
Mark A":1ggdd7b1 said:
I pretty sure dickm is referring to this...

3urugy2a.jpg

Streuth! that is a serious bit of gear! I thought I knew most of the power tools available but I've not seen that before... might as well use "new" wood at what it must cost! lol.

Thanks Wuffles, the Ebay item is a good find! more within my budget too! :)

Higon":1bqmg38e said:
Thanks Wuffles, the Ebay item is a good find! more within my budget too!

Hi

I'd recommend you try to get more details before purchasing - the trouble with most cheap metal detectors is the size of target they will identify. Not sure that 'body scanner' would pick up a small nail - the Garrett will react to items smaller than a dress making pin - you get what you pay for.

Regards Mick

Latest posts

Back