quarter sawn oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Planing up some wood for a table today, came across this cracker, shame it wasn't all like this.
14152126986901.jpg

Attachments

• 14152126986901.jpg
    14152126986901.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 341
Funny how tastes differ, I hate it when I plane up a load of oak and it's full of rays.

I agree Bob - when ordering oak for my island tops I now specify no q/s stock after one customer referred to it as "stretch mark wood".

Cheers

Karl

I like it, but it is a problem if you only have the odd board in a pile because it stands out so much.

I'm no expert but I too prefer not to have quarter sawn oak. Often the rays are very random and to me can look a little messy.

John

How can you not love the tiger stripes of quarter sawn! Rift and flat sawn timber is just dull IMO characterless and lifeless. Reminds me of the childrens rhyme, Jack Sprat and his Wife!

deema":19ecwbng said:
How can you not love the tiger stripes of quarter sawn! Reminds me of the childrens rhyme, Jack Sprat and his Wife!

I would've thought something by William Blake would be more fitting :lol:

Can be quite stunning in the right context, i.e. book-matched panels, but very easy to overdo it. I prefer to use plain sawn for most purposes.

:lol: Give quarter sawn oak a new home, send your donations to.......as head of the new charity for the much despised and unloved quarter sawn, I have made it my mission to give every piece a loving new home

deema":12g0y80c said:
:lol: Give quarter sawn oak a new home, send your donations to.......as head of the new charity for the much despised and unloved quarter sawn, I have made it my mission to give every piece a loving new home

Could I be added as a beneficiary :lol:

I love quarter-sawn oak. Many years ago I bought a garden bench kit, one of those with cast-iron ends and wooden slats held by screws. After the first year the original slats had rotted-out so I replaced them with ones made from quarter-sawn oak. I was told that was a stupid thing to do, as they cost a lot and wouldn't last - but now, after 20 years outdoors, they're still there, and get sat on regularly (and I'm no lightweight).

Back