Quangsheng Rebating Block Plane Passaround

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well issues of buying from the far east aside.

These planes seem to be very high quality. I'll report later on just how high that is. They have been well received in the states with no particular harsh backlash to support LN. The Tilgear ones were found to be of poor quality, especially the irons. So I'll be looking at that and the others can cast their opinions too. That's the benefit of a passaround.

For the record. I think I'd also rather have Clifton. If only for the 'keeping it British' angle. That said, I'm on meagre earnings and could do with a better block plane than the Stanley I have. So this could well be a stop gap until Clifton go ahead with their block plane.

Alan Jones":1m7dj56t said:
The saddest aspect to me is that the potential purchasers of these will be complaining when their jobs are lost to the far east.

Not to mention the carbon footprint.

Wizer is the mythical Clifton block plane ever going to be produced? I reckon Ill be pushing up daisies before that arrives.Unless you know something I dont :wink: in which case pray tell :)

Alan,

I think his point is that as Clifton don't do a block then buying a squashi whatsit does not breach your buy British Campaign.

Personally I don't understand the issue with chinese made stuff.
It's no different to the attitude in the past towards Taiwanese and Japanese stuff.
Initially many 'eastern' countries start out making 'poor' copies of existing kit, then they graduate to very 'good' copies, then graduate to making originals that can rarely be matched in quality (for the price) elsewhere.
You get some cr4p stuff from China and you get some good stuff.
I'll buy what fits my budget and don't really care where it's made.
Yes, I'd prefer to buy British - when it's of a good enough quality and I can actually afford it - but I won't pay twice the price for something that isn't any better.

Guys can we put the issues around these planes origins to one side or debate them elsewhere. Let's just see if these planes are any good first.

and on that note... MarkW (WellsWood) just popped round and we had a look. Typically, the memory card in my camera is playing up so we didn't get pics and we only had a limited amount of time. So I'm only giving some first impressions now. I will do a longer(ish) review with pics in a few days.

Some things to note: Both planes come sealed in a plastic bag, which in turn is in a wooden box, which in turn is also sealed in a bag. The wooden box is nothing special, but for those people who like to keep their planes in the boxes (you know who you are), you can't get much better than this. There is absolutely no branding on these planes (Not that that bears any relevance).

Mark very quickly put an edge on the rebate plane iron and tested it out on some beech. Initial tests seem to suggest that it's not particularly well at taking thin shavings. But we both agreed that more fettling could be done to the blade, given more time. To all intents and purposes this plane works perfectly well. I'd like to take some time to put a proper edge on it and have another play in the next few days. To owners of the original LN version, is the blade a pipper to remove? There's a knack to getting this one out.

I don't own the LN Side Rebate plane and have never held it, so it's hard to compare. But I do own a pair of Boggs spoke shaves and so could compare the two closely. I'm reasonably astonished to report that they are almost exactly the same. There are very little differences. The main difference, and it's something of a minor problem, is that the handles are fatter than the boggs. The problem with that is the sole of the shave does not rest flat on the bench for setting the blade. You have to position it in the outside corner of the bench so that both handles are over the side. Either that or set it on a block. It's really a minor point and the only thing so far to note. Again, I want to give it a work out. But my initial reaction to this spoke shave is very favourable. In my opinion, the boggs style shave is much nicer to work with and at this price, it makes it much more accessible.

I know you're all chomping at the big for pics. Soon I promise. If there is anything you specifically want me to look at, just say.

Sorry Wizer
Alan Jones":3vtq9560 said:
Personally I wouldnt touch them as I will only buy one plane of a type in my lifetime ie one 4 1/2 one 5 1/2 etc so prefer to buy Clifton etc as the cost differential over a lifetime is insignificant. My LIe Nielsons ,Cliftons etc will allways have a considerable residual value, can the same be said of far eastern offerings? The saddest aspect to me is that the potential purchasers of these will be complaining when their jobs are lost to the far east.
I'm with Alan J on this one.
Lurker":3vtq9560 said:
Not to mention the carbon footprint.
'though having my Clifton sent from UK to New Zealand doesn't score very well either. But then I suppose having a Quangsheng plane sent from just up the road (i.e. China), to UK, and then back to NZ would have a dodgy carbon footprint too :shock: .

:lol: :lol: Cheers, Vann.

Confession: I own a Tilgear Grant G95 edge plane (with a Veritas iron) :oops:

Vann":15pmvkbm said:

That statement really rather makes the rest of your post a waste of pixels....

wizer":1oekqnvb said:
Vann":1oekqnvb said:

That statement really rather makes the rest of your post a waste of pixels....
Yes, but I'm a reformed 'knock-off' plane buyer. I swore I'd not buy any more. (maybe everyone's allowed one mistake :oops: :lol: )

Cheers, Vann.

wizer":1bmqh3fp said:
Mark very quickly put an edge on the rebate plane iron
IME if you can put an edge on a blade quickly then it comes off quick too.
I trust you just meant Mark is good at sharpening??

How thick is the blade??
Does it hold a edge?

Body Squareness? Flatness?

Am very tempted with the spokeshave after what you have said

I meant we didn't have a lot of time, so didn't spend the time to flatten the back and hone a fine edge. We just ran it over a fine stone and then upped the angle by 2 degrees. We agreed that more work could be done and I will in the coming days. Your questions will be answered.

I think the shave is a good buy.

lurker":25mjpsin said:
wizer":25mjpsin said:
Mark very quickly put an edge on the rebate plane iron
IME if you can put an edge on a blade quickly then it comes off quick too.
I trust you just meant Mark is good at sharpening??

I consider myself pretty competant, but it was more to do with time constraints and working with someone else's setup. I put a quick 30deg secondary on a fine diamond plate, then a couple more deg using Tom's ceramic stone (grit unknown but probably around 10,000) - just enough to establish a new edge - and couple of swipes on the back. I kept to a minimum because Tom's ceramic stone wasn't as flat as I would like, but it looked like we'd hit the edge from both sides. The results weren't awe-inspiring to be honest, but it would be unfair in the extreme to pass any judgements at this stage. Tom's still suffering badly with his back so I've "borrowed" it for a day or so to stop him undoing the surgeon's good work, and I will prep the blade properly later today given time, before returning it to him in a proper "working" state - so watch this space.

Mark,

I'm pleased you have got your hands on it as I was concerned we would get a report about bling factors :roll: rather that important stuff.

If the blade is not cheese & the sole flat I think I might risk a punt.

Your opinions are eagerly awaited

PS I think you did Tom a favour vis a vis his back & plane testing

I think the passaround will gain views from all parts of the spectrum.

Jim I don't know why you don't just stick your name on the list. Then your not taking a punt, more like an informed decision.

And you call me lazy! :roll:

wizer":33ozhpg8 said:
I think the passaround will gain views from all parts of the spectrum.

Jim I don't know why you don't just stick your name on the list. Then your not taking a punt, more like an informed decision.

And you call me lazy! :roll:

Cos I'm too mean to pay the £10 postage to pass it on :lol:

[-( I never said you were lazy

Dopey, Stupid, Moaning, Impulsive, Reckless, hopeless useless dangerous incompetent yes, but lazy no.

The postage for the shave and the plane was £4.72 from Matthew. YOU TIGHT GIT!

(You forgot annoying)

Alan Jones":k8nrb2jt said:
Wizer ,I was aware that these were not from the same Chinese manufacture as the Tillgear offerings, but they are none the less Chinese offerings. So why the general change in attitude . If I remember correctly Tillgear were berated for selling cheap copies of western goods ,with even threats of boycotting them for doing so.
Personally I wouldnt touch them as I will only buy one plane of a type in my lifetime ie one 4 1/2 one 5 1/2 etc so prefer to buy Clifton etc as the cost differential over a lifetime is insignificant. My LIe Nielsons ,Cliftons etc will allways have a considerable residual value, can the same be said of far eastern offerings? The saddest aspect to me is that the potential purchasers of these will be complaining when their jobs are lost to the far east.

Alan if i might make a suggestion , why not take part in the pass around, then you can see for yourself that not everything that comes out of china is cheap rubbish - I've no doubt you would still refuse to buy it which is of course your perogative but at the very least you might then stop grouping the QS offerings with planes like Groz and Annant which is getting a bit wearing, especially as it is clearly based on predjudice rather than experience.

Back