Power tools budget rule of thumb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davic

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a new convert to woodworking and going to practice making a few things from scrap wood and pallets etc. I was hoping for a rule of thumb for how much to pay for things like a:

Jigsaw
Cordless drill
Orbital sander (random?)
Electric planer

A friend of mine is a professional carpenter and a lot of the time he uses cheaper tools. I am more of a gardener but have enjoyed some woodwork and want to practice but I would like to be able to sell some things if possible . I am hoping to be a full time professional gardener doing light brickwork and woodwork as part of that.

Many thanks,

Dav

Hi Dav.

If your tools are going to be used primarily outside I would suggest going for cordless tools.
A good idea would be to go for one manufacturer so the same batteries are interchangeable with the different tools, something such as the Makita 18 volt lithium range would give plenty of power & also has a decent range of tools that fit that battery.

Good luck with the gardening.

Regards.

dj.

There's not a single answer that will apply for everyone. Just as there are shoes or shirts available at prices from a few quid up to the hundreds, with power tools there are options at a wide range of price points. At one extreme are tools which are aimed at the hard-up occasional user (where your jigsaw for example could cost under £20) through to those intended for continuous professional use costing several hundred pounds.

The cheap tools will only last for a few hours total use. To a weekend diyer, that's fine; to someone earning a living from them it will probably be false economy.

Some of the ways cheap tools are cheaper include:

- smaller or noisier motors
- plastic instead of metal eg for internal gears
- leaving out useful adjustments or fixing points
- metal parts not fully hardened
- cheaper unsealed bearings
- looser quality control
- no after sales service
- assembly in low-wage countries.

It's down to you how much you're willing to spend. But generally, cheaper tools are cheap for a reason!

If its low priced tools you want, have a look at Argos' budget range...."Challenge" I think it's called. I have a couple of tools from there and they are okay for occasional use. But not for anything near heavy duty. Had the electric planer of this brand before and its belt inside the motor snapped while on a job. Luckily they supplied a spare for free. But I haven't used it on jobs since!

If you're going to follow DJ's advice about going cordless, then I can fully recommend the Ryobi One+ range. They are rated for light-medium trade work and I have used the cordless drill day in day out at work. Also own the jigsaw which is fairly decent. Here's a review I did on them back in 2009: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/review-ryobi-one-combi-drill-cordless-jigsaw-18v-t31546.html I must admit however after day in day out use over the period of two years I have replaced the drill to the new green model as the old one packed in. It earn't its money well though!
The One+ system is also good for you as they do a full gardening range too!
The whole available range can be found here: http://ryobi-oneplus.co.uk/18v/home/

Thanks for that, I am assuming that the corded Ryobi stuff will be of a similar quality so I think I'll check them out first

AndyT":1ostw2c5 said:
There's not a single answer that will apply for everyone. Just as there are shoes or shirts available at prices from a few quid up to the hundreds, with power tools there are options at a wide range of price points. At one extreme are tools which are aimed at the hard-up occasional user (where your jigsaw for example could cost under £20) through to those intended for continuous professional use costing several hundred pounds.

The cheap tools will only last for a few hours total use. To a weekend diyer, that's fine; to someone earning a living from them it will probably be false economy.

Some of the ways cheap tools are cheaper include:

- smaller or noisier motors
- plastic instead of metal eg for internal gears
- leaving out useful adjustments or fixing points
- metal parts not fully hardened
- cheaper unsealed bearings
- looser quality control
- no after sales service
- assembly in low-wage countries

I think this has swayed it for me and I think I'll go with Makita and just be patient. The low wage countries/noise is a factor for me

Hi davic, welcome to the forum by the way!

I would also assume that Ryobi corded power tools are of a similar quality. A few years ago I used a Ryobi orbital sander that was called "Ryobi Industrial", a quick google hasn't proved useful in finding this range. However, this power tool was in constant use daily for years. The one I used was second hand when I got it and it just kept going. Eventually with all things though it did come to an end! And was replaced with a Makita sander, this one in fact: http://www.freewebs.com/simonswoodwork/WIPcoffeetable/31082008138.jpg Which worked as well for the time I had it, which was 1-2 years. The belt sander in the photo is CLARKE, which was brought as an at home occasional use tool. However for everyday use, it was also a Makita belt sander I'd use.

In way of cordless drills though, I have used Makita and just not liked them. Ryobi all the way for me!
In way of jigsaws and planers, Bosch is a fairly good brand for those kind of tools.

I just hope that I can sell some stuff. There seems to be buyers for all sorts on ebay; if not I can always burn it and keep warm that way

+1 for the One +

After ten years or so I need new batteries but the difference from all the other dead cordless in my workshop I can still get batteries that fit and are even an upgrade.

davic":340sbj2b said:
Just bought a Ryobi 600w jigsaw. £33 I hope its good :)

Let us know how you get on. By the way, as with so many power tools, it's really all about the blades. So if you're not 100% happy with results check that you're using the very best blade for the job, they really do make a difference. Personally i'd rather have a Lidl special with the correct, sharp blade, rather than a Festool with the wrong, blunt blade!

custard":3pdf0wm7 said:
davic":3pdf0wm7 said:
Just bought a Ryobi 600w jigsaw. £33 I hope its good :)

Let us know how you get on. By the way, as with so many power tools, it's really all about the blades. So if you're not 100% happy with results check that you're using the very best blade for the job, they really do make a difference. Personally i'd rather have a Lidl special with the correct, sharp blade, rather than a Festool with the wrong, blunt blade!

Yeah I will do! I just got a Ryobi random orbital sander so I can more or less start making stuff :D (when it arrives... .. .)

The sander has arrived and seems pretty good. I have only used this one but for £50 it seems very good.

A quick drill question though, for diy and light commercial stuff like garden furniture do I bite the bullet and spend extra on a drill? The two I have in mind are 18v Makita's one has 101 bits to go in it the other is more powerful (twice in fact) and has the much coveted job light :)

There is a £70 difference and I'd have to get one of them on line

£150 - seems pretty good
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsess ... kita%20LXT

£220 with bits bought separately

http://www.onlinepowertools.co.uk/prod/ ... e+Shopping

Your views on this is appreciated. I think the second one is overkill but I like the idea of having the extra power...

If you can get to a shop that stocks both of those drills and have a play with them. See which one feels better in the hand. I use makita and prefer the lighter drills, mainly because it is easier on my bad back when using them all day. 99% of the time i use my impact drill. However the foreman i was with most of last year banned impact drivers in certain situations, and when i had to use my normal drill it was uncomfortable for long periods of time.
So i am on the look out for a replacement, but lighter. :)

carlb40":3i02mmw5 said:
If you can get to a shop that stocks both of those drills and have a play with them. See which one feels better in the hand. I use makita and prefer the lighter drills, mainly because it is easier on my bad back when using them all day. 99% of the time i use my impact drill. However the foreman i was with most of last year banned impact drivers in certain situations, and when i had to use my normal drill it was uncomfortable for long periods of time.
So i am on the look out for a replacement, but lighter. :)

That's a pretty good point actually, The weight, I'd never thought about that. I think that's settled it. I am gonna go with the lighter drill. Cheaper lighter and I probably wont need the extra power

Much appreciated!

Back