Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the flowers finished today polished them on the chestnut buffing mops & gave them a coat of woodwax22 displayed in a Hawthorn vase with Padauk inserts.
IMG_20240418_164150385.jpeg

It’s not worthy to be posted in with all these lovely creations..but it was turned and it serves a purpose.
Can you guess what it’s for?
….. it’s a press for a press fit bottom bracket
I love it when someone asks me to make something thats going to get used get such a buzz. Last time was for a chap who only uses old hand tools. Got asked if I would make a set of double handed handles for a two man saw
20230530_153425.jpg
simple things are sometimes the best things even if they don't look much

Tall vase part 1. Finally got the chainsaw out and prepped up an off cut of cedar to be used for my current vase project. Everything went according to plan, left it overnight in between centers, after rough shaping and gluing together. The following day final shaping and sanding to place with no hitches until I took it of the lathe bed and it dawned on me that it would not be a good idea to hollow out without a steady rest and as I don't have one yet this is getting shelved for a later date.
20240421_124536.jpg
20240421_124433.jpg
20240421_124415.jpg

Lid top designs though I would try reverse sizing a lid top handle with acacia and a walnut branch.
20240421_123513.jpg
20240421_123628.jpg
20240421_124220.jpg
20240421_123201.jpg
the walnut branch had a soft pith so dealt with that using super glue sawdust and a small green glass bead. The effect I was hoping for just did not happen and to be honest absolutely hated it. So a trip back to the lathe then came back with this. This woks for me even if a little of centre.
17137080273235534165390047691100.jpg
m
17137080659028131528048344473458.jpg
I think the first design would have workout had the bottom part of the pot been larger and wider. Intrested in whether or not you liked the first design for the top.

Tall vase part 1. Finally got the chainsaw out and prepped up an off cut of cedar to be used for my current vase project. Everything went according to plan, left it overnight in between centers, after rough shaping and gluing together. The following day final shaping and sanding to place with no hitches until I took it of the lathe bed and it dawned on me that it would not be a good idea to hollow out without a steady rest and as I don't have one yet this is getting shelved for a later date.View attachment 179887View attachment 179888View attachment 179891
Hi Pat, why don't you have a go at making a steady rest? Its pretty simple to make and there are numerous videos on YouTube to show you how. The roller wheels are easy to get off Ebay. I forget which design I used when I first made mine some years ago.

Hi Pat, why don't you have a go at making a steady rest? Its pretty simple to make and there are numerous videos on YouTube to show you how. The roller wheels are easy to get off Ebay. I forget which design I used when I first made mine some years ago.
Jockey hello yes am going to do just that whatched a few of the utube vidios already and we have a place down the road a bit, called the resoucery, where they recycle all sorts. Just the place for second hand wheels that will go on a steady rest. Ps your lovely resin and alder bowl are you using it or did you gift/sell it?

Last edited:
Just making a few things before my lathe goes. Another gonk, top hat this time. Beard incoming soon lol.

I’ve got some pens to make from London plane blanks that Phil gave me a while ago, tubes from Beaufort should be here tomorrow.
A couple of random things, that I don’t think I’ve shown here finished. A coaster I made a while and a segmented sphere that I started in 2021 (I’m pretty sure I posted photos on here somewhere in 21 when I started it) but I’ll add again. Anyway finally done.

I really don’t like the end result of the sphere object but the whole process was very enjoyable so, I guess, that’s the main bit.

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpeg
    IMG_0681.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0684.jpeg
    IMG_0684.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0386.jpeg
    IMG_0386.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jockey hello yes am going to do just that whatched a few of the utube vidios already and we have a place down the road a bit, called the resoucery, where they recycle all sorts. Just the place for second hand wheels that will go on a steady rest. Ps your lovely resin and alder bowl are you using it or did you gift/sell it?
Hi Pat, yes I gave it to one of my sisters.

Back