Opinions, please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimJay

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Living as I do in the depths of The Wild East, I'm rather out of touch with the quality of work on offer from UK door-makers. A new woodworker has popped up on the radar here, making traditional UK doors from Scots Pine.

He's showing some photos of his work and I'm interested to have some opinions about it.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1714455632101.jpg
    FB_IMG_1714455632101.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1714455616788.jpg
    FB_IMG_1714455616788.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
A bit sloppy on setting up the machine (spindle moulder or router).
There's room for improvement :unsure: :)

Struth, I'm very much an amateur, but I would be so embarrassed if that was the quality of my work. I certainly wouldn't have any photographs on show for others to see.

Struth, I'm very much an amateur, but I would be so embarrassed if that was the quality of my work. I certainly wouldn't have any photographs on show for others to see.
Not just on show - these are displayed as advertisements to show potential customers for his doors the quality of his workmanship.....

Tapered gaps a thing out there? No, didn't think so. And, that splintered edge? Sheesh....This guy needs to wake up and smell the humous.

Much joinery can be a bit rough. We wouldn't barely sand rough work (bog doors, windows.)i Suspect he's using par timber to save machining. This often results in these issues. There just gonna get painted so could be filled. They are rough but so are many brought doors.

Tapered gaps a thing out there? No, didn't think so. And, that splintered edge? Sheesh....This guy needs to wake up and smell the humous.
Hummus isn't all that popular here, but I get where you're coming from :)

I'm intending to oil/varnish the door, so there won't be much scope for hiding imperfections under a coat or two of paint. He uses "prime Scots pine" but where he sources it is anyone's guess since most of the pine available here ends up looking like a propeller in fairly short order; I guess he isn't offering a warranty!

If what is on show is below par then what about what you cannot see ! Are these doors jointed well to make for a strong door that does not start to split.

JimJay? I'd also be concerned about the moisture content of his "Scots Pine" and co-opt your propeller comment to wonder out loud how long it would be before your doors resembled Robin Hood's rejects...

At the same time, you have to be fair to the guy for being open about his work. You can see what you're getting so there "should" be no surprises. Maybe he's new to the trade and trying to get a start.

I have bought worse, if he's plan is knock them out fast and cheep while some skilled people on here might be horrified at having this in there house others might think what a bargain or I'd like better if I had the cash. I had a tenant who's somewhat disturbed child regularly damaged doors and woodwork, I obviously replaced as required but wouldn't be buying the top quality knowing it would be bashed to bits. That was not a good situation, very nice woman struggling with 3 kids and no sign of Dad, she moved in with a new boyfriend he must have been a saint - hope it all worked out.

It takes longer to do something poorly than well! If you have to machine a surface then do it properly and accurately. The time and cost dealing with returns and dissatisfied customers is far greater than the extra few minutes to dial in a machine properly.
If you haven’t any pride in your work, the desire to learn and do things properly then you will earn a reputation that ensures your business will fail / make little money.

I would suspect that the doors will twist and warp: why, well if you can’t get the basics of machining then correctly you probably don’t understand or care about selecting the right stuff for the right part of the door to mitigate the chances of adverse movement. Walk….no run away.

If you're paying top dollar, then that ain't good.
It does have imperfections, but if it's structurally sound and in the lower
price range, then I'd say it's OK.
Probably made using loose-tenon joinery.

Back