Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
custard":ef0v2njd said:
NazNomad":ef0v2njd said:
Oak box and horseshoe made from the Randomwood Tree.

That horseshoe isn't easy, especially when it's as well made as that.

=D>

How many hours did it take?

The horseshoe was the easy part... scrollsaw and a few layers - (pattern for anyone who needs a wooden horseshoe) https://s20.postimg.org/raqvrlkbh/horseshoe_b.jpg

Getting that oak box to fit together almost seamlessly was the difficult part for me with my skill set.

I didn't count the hours I put into it, most of the box was ''glue - wait overnight - repeat'', so it was a project I went back to as and when.

Plus, my Mum commissioned it for someone, so it's a labour of love. I won't charge her for it, especially as my Dad obtained most of my machinery and wood for me over time. :-D

Here's a couple of photos of my latest project. I don't normally take on any commissioned builds, but about 6 months ago I was asked by a friend if I'd build him a guitar in memory of his daughter, who sadly passed away last year. The inlays on the 7th, 9th and 16th frets represent her date of birth, there's also a small name plate on the below the bridge. The guitar was finished a couple of weeks ago, just in time for a fund raising gig that Dave and his wife had arranged, which raised over £2.5k for the neonatal departments at the Leicester Royal Infirmary.

The top is burl Poplar, with a Black Limba body. The neck is Black Limba and Maple, with a Blackwood Tek (Ebony substitute) fretboard.

NfnTmx.png

fHXZt8.png

new member here, thought i would add something to this thread
reclaimed cedar from an old house

simple construction, all flat joinery

Attachments

• DSC01004r.jpg
    DSC01004r.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 267
memzey":19v7rtbs said:
Nicely done Steve. Very elegant looking for garden furniture. I hope that they hold up well.
they are made from eastern white cedar as its known over here(Canada). well known as being very weather resistant
I made adirondak chairs years ago from the same material, held up very well over 10 years

My wedding present for my Pastor at Church who is getting married next week. A Dove I carved. The body is made from lime and the wings tulip. Mounted onto a Oak base I also made. Was fun to make but drilled a hole in my thumb in the process.

36570875183_cf622caa9d_z.jpg

37211134512_b447f87d5d_z.jpg

37240504141_f817bd86ee_z.jpg

37240507081_33bfffa5ce_z.jpg

37240509471_4b5c05759e_z.jpg

new member here, thought i would add something to this thread
reclaimed cedar from an old house

simple construction, all flat joinery
Nice chairs there Steve, I can see the Adirondack influence

Are plans available ? -- Wouldn't mind having a try at one myself :)

xy mosian":76kfe0yl said:
Smashing work all around.
Doris, a lovely Dove. Did you use a joint for the Tulip to Lime or a well glued butt?
xy
Thank you. I used two tenons from the body using two kebab skewers then drilled two matching holes on each wing. I drilled my thumb in the process though as I used my pendant drill to drill the holes in the wings (due to the shape). The last hole to be drilled broke through and my thumb was right in the firing line so the drill quickly made its way through it compared to the tulip. Lesson learned though. Two weeks on my thumb is still quite sore but almost fully healed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Doris":1280e1zl said:
xy mosian":1280e1zl said:
Doris, a lovely Dove. Did you use a joint for the Tulip to Lime or a well glued butt?
xy
Thank you. I used two tenons from the body using two kebab skewers then drilled two matching holes on each wing. I drilled my thumb in the process though as I used my pendant drill to drill the holes in the wings (due to the shape). The last hole to be drilled broke through and my thumb was right in the firing line so the drill quickly made its way through it compared to the tulip. Lesson learned though. Two weeks on my thumb is still quite sore but almost fully healed.

That sounds like the sort of thing that you just know will happen but cannot avoid somehow. I do hope that your thumb clears up quickly, I'll bet it gets in the way all the time.
Still a good solution to the problem very well done. By the way how does the Tulip compare to the Lime when carved?
xy

xy mosian":1n4eqp3l said:
Doris":1n4eqp3l said:
xy mosian":1n4eqp3l said:
xy

That sounds like the sort of thing that you just know will happen but cannot avoid somehow. I do hope that your thumb clears up quickly, I'll bet it gets in the way all the time.
Still a good solution to the problem very well done. By the way how does the Tulip compare to the Lime when carved?
xy
Thanks. It's almost healed up.

I use a power carved with burrs more than chisels and knives nowadays. They act more or less the same I find. Tulip has a little more resistance but it's splitting hairs really. I find they both will keep their shape, which is what matters at the end of the day.

Latest posts

Back