Planer thicknesser mobile cart 600 kilos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumo2001

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi need advice on making my planer thicknesser mobile it weighs approximately 600 kilos this is over by about 40 kilos which allows a bit of tolerance has anyone done this before or got any ideas please please done on smaller machines but not on one this weight thanks in advance

That’s a huge weight, I think you’ll need something like a set of machinery skates. They are not normally a permanent fixture and would raise the machine considerably. Also would be worried about any solid wheel deforming with that load in a static position for any period of time.

If you have space to maneuver putting the planer on some square steel tube and using a pallet jack might be better. It allows you to use the pallet jack for other work.

Pete
Was thinking of making a custom pallet for it and getting a pallet truck to move it just then something else to store just tight for space in my home workshop but it's such a good price I can't refuse it 😂

600Kg surely is a weight. Anything other than dead flat and I wouldn't be able to move that without real difficulty.
For a planer, take the attached as a suggestion. Hot rolled Parallel Flange Channel can be bolted to the sides or underneath the base of the machine. Fit high load castors, or fixed wheels at one end and castors at the other. Most importantly, also fit it with screw down feet to lift the castors off the ground and stabilise the machine every time before you use it and to unload the tyres while the machine is parked. No cheating.
I set this little PT255 up as you see because I needed to roll it out of my workshop to use. There is a slope so even this little thing is hard to push back indoors. But put a 10 foot hardwood plank through a little machine like this with a small base without the infeed and outfeed roller stands setup just right and a heavy length of hardwood can apply enough leverage to rock it.
Lesson learned. Make the base channels longer and add screw down feet.
With a 600kg machine, planks will not be rocking your planer, but you should add the feet as well as castors for levelling and absolute stability.

Also, keep an eye on the machine in case moving it twists the alignment, even if only a little. Planers aren't meant to be wheeled around.
20240424_211119.jpg

600Kg surely is a weight. Anything other than dead flat and I wouldn't be able to move that without real difficulty.
For a planer, take the attached as a suggestion. Hot rolled Parallel Flange Channel can be bolted to the sides or underneath the base of the machine. Fit high load castors, or fixed wheels at one end and castors at the other. Most importantly, also fit it with screw down feet to lift the castors off the ground and stabilise the machine every time before you use it and to unload the tyres while the machine is parked. No cheating.
I set this little PT255 up as you see because I needed to roll it out of my workshop to use. There is a slope so even this little thing is hard to push back indoors. But put a 10 foot hardwood plank through a little machine like this with a small base without the infeed and outfeed roller stands setup just right and a heavy length of hardwood can apply enough leverage to rock it.
Lesson learned. Make the base channels longer and add screw down feet.
With a 600kg machine, planks will not be rocking your planer, but you should add the feet as well as castors for levelling and absolute stability.

Also, keep an eye on the machine in case moving it twists the alignment, even if only a little. Planers aren't meant to be wheeled around.
View attachment 180109
Interesting was looking at these as one option

HOLKIE Leveling Castors with Ratchet Handle Design - Total Capacity 2000kg​

As encouragement, a couple of 800mm lengths of channel like this cost me a little over £50 from a local stockholder.
Castors are pricey but 16mm or 20mm threaded steel rod for the screw down feet is available and it's easier to drill big holes than you might think.

I've just fitted similar channel to a 1/2 ton metal lathe and attached it using nuts from below onto the 7/8" Whitworth adjustable feet it has at the corners. This needed a 30mm clearance hole in the 6mm steel the channel is made from. A £16 Starrett TCT holesaw in a modest bench drill cut those without any drama.
20240424_213947.jpg

20240424_213922.jpg

20240424_214346.jpg

Castors only need 8mm holes
20240226_154453.jpg

A wooden spacer will go between so that the castor can swivel without binding on the flanges
20240226_154456.jpg

Last edited:
Was thinking of making a custom pallet for it and getting a pallet truck to move it just then something else to store just tight for space in my home workshop but it's such a good price I can't refuse it 😂
If you have room to use a pallet jack they are great to have. Put channel under stuff to make it easy to slip the forks underneath but you then only need the feet, not the castors.

Interesting was looking at these as one option

HOLKIE Leveling Castors with Ratchet Handle Design - Total Capacity 2000kg​

Those type of castors are very nice. Be aware that the castor wheels are quite small and quite hard. They roll well on a smooth flat floor but if you don't have something like tiles or ground and polished concrete, they aren't so forgiving. My own trick has been to keep eyes open for replacement wheels for pallet trucks selling cheap as surplus / new other.
20240205_142127.jpg

DIY dolly that should take a couple of tons

Have a look at the Felder mobility kits - there are various versions, but I see machines of 1000kg+ show them.

I have this on my saw/spindle (400kg) and a different Scheppach version on my Scheppach planer (300kg). The machines are surprisingly manoeuvrable with these.

Cheers

As encouragement, a couple of 800mm lengths of channel like this cost me a little over £50 from a local stockholder.
Castors are pricey but 16mm or 20mm threaded steel rod for the screw down feet is available and it's easier to drill big holes than you might think.

I've just fitted similar channel to a 1/2 ton metal lathe and attached it using nuts from below onto the 7/8" Whitworth adjustable feet it has at the corners. This needed a 30mm clearance hole in the 6mm steel the channel is made from. A £16 Starrett TCT holesaw in a modest bench drill cut those without any drama.
View attachment 180111

View attachment 180112

View attachment 180110

Castors only need 8mm holes
View attachment 180114

A wooden spacer will go between so that the castor can swivel without binding on the flanges
View attachment 180113
IMG_20200722_082648.jpg
Same idea on my lathe, weighs about 700kg.
The feet can be swapped out for braked castors.

I've used pallet truck wheels in a steel L section frame with cantilever hold downs at the rear and an eye at the front so that a similarly wheeled ~5ft dolly can be hooked under to allow moving a heavy old cast spindle molder around my workshop. As others have stated this requires a very smooth floor - in fact I clean it thoroughly before moving it otherwise it will get stuck or embed into the timber floor anything in its path - screws/washers etc!

My low-tech solution for a very heavy table saw was to bolt it down to a sturdy pallet, then use a pallet-jack to move it whenever I need to. I probably move it once a year. If you were moving it weekly it might get annoying.

This seems to be the easiest solution I think just need to get a pallet truck now cheers for advice and i everyone's deas
My low-tech solution for a very heavy table saw was to bolt it down to a sturdy pallet, then use a pallet-jack to move it whenever I need to. I probably move it once a year. If you were moving it weekly it might get annoying.

Latest posts

Back