Pillar drill help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodturner1972

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a second hand Axminster pillar drill (model number ND16F).
It seems that the belts currently installed are incorrect for the machine as one is incredibly tight, the other loose and whatever speed I select, there is not sufficient tension in the second belt. The belts it has fitted are M22 for the spindle pulley, and M23 for the motor pulley. I have the original manual but it does not give details on the belts and a thorough Google search has also come up blank.
Does anyone possibly have this pillar drill and could tell me the correct belt selection for this machine and confirm which fits on which pulley? I have emailed Axminster and awaiting a reply.

Hope someone can help

I'm not familiar with that particular machine, but in general, belts should be adjusted so they are just tight enough to do the job and no more. Is it possible that they are the wrong way round? I can't see any reason why one should be very tight and the other very sloppy, they should both be similar, and, well, just right.

Centre pulley seems fixed so no adjustment there.
Tried swapping the belts over but no joy as the M23 motor pulley belt is larger than the M22 spindle one.
Heard back from Axminster who say belt selection and orientation is correct and suggest purchasing new belts in case the M23 has stretched. Seems a long shot but now my only option.
Thanks to all who have responded.

I expect it will have stretched, they do seem to. I have just ordered some from eBay for a pillar drill I bought from here - it definitely had the wrong size belts on it as they're labelled and do not match the spec in the book. I think if they overheat they go after that - I think anyway.

Can't find a way and no details in the manual, the rear pulley moves with the motor but not enough to put the correct tension on the second belt. My old pillar drill was a single belt so never had the problem

Back