PENCIL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading the Amazon description of those ... "There has been almost no innovation to the traditional carpenters pencil since the 17th century..."

I use Berol pencils mostly. They do exactly the same as your 'new-fangled' one with one exception ... they work.

The only problem I have with traditional pencils is that I put them down and can't find them again? :roll:
My latest tactic was to buy a dozen in a box, and I'm now living in hope that I should at least be able to find one when I need it.

Forget about the manufacturer they could take weeks to reply, if ever and complain to Amazon saying you want a full refund.

Pencils are so cheap that they do not need innovating.

For mechanical pencils a clutch type works well. I use a Koh-i-nor when I am doing technical drawing (as I am rubbish at Sketch Up) which is excellent: lead never slips and it has a built in sharpener.

RossJarvis":147uk445 said:
Nope, I always use Staedtler black and red 2B, can't beat em.

+1

the blue painted and the black and yellow are just as good. Leads don't break when you drop the pencil either!
My two pen'orth FWIW

I've bought some mechanical pencils thinking they would be easier to mark a fine line for second fix. But they're snapping too easily. So it's back to the staedler black and reds for me I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fraxinus":31zxqygt said:
I've bought some mechanical pencils thinking they would be easier to mark a fine line for second fix. But they're snapping too easily. So it's back to the staedler black and reds for me I think.
What lead thickness? I presume you were using HB leads?

I use mechanical pencils of two types and the skinny ones are of course much more fragile. Soft, grabby woods are hard on them, as is marking across the grain on any species that isn't close-grained, but they can do the job. Having only a tiny bit of lead poking out and leaning into the stroke helps loads.

Roughcut":2kcjk10e said:
The only problem I have with traditional pencils is that I put them down and can't find them again? :roll:
My latest tactic was to buy a dozen in a box, and I'm now living in hope that I should at least be able to find one when I need it.

I did that, but all that happened was they managed to scuttle off and hide as a group. I think they found it funny :roll:

david123":tepa50wr said:
I did that, but all that happened was they managed to scuttle off and hide as a group. I think they found it funny :roll:

Was it Winter? Pencils ARE a migratory species, y'know.

ED65":f0dfqi3n said:
What lead thickness? I presume you were using HB leads?

I use mechanical pencils of two types and the skinny ones are of course much more fragile. Soft, grabby woods are hard on them, as is marking across the grain on any species that isn't close-grained, but they can do the job. Having only a tiny bit of lead poking out and leaning into the stroke helps loads.

They're only .5mm so very thin. Shall have to try that this afternoon. I presume they're hb leads, they were only a cheap box of bic's. I was worried about the disappearance of a more expensive one!

I find the pencil fairies regularly visit my workshop. Now I always keep 2 in my jeans back pocket, courtesy of Ikea / Screwfix.

K

It's always best to strop your pencils after sharpening. I've stropped some so hard after making mistakes they are stuck in the shed wall like tiny screwfix crossbow bolts. I hang my tools off them.

I tend not to have really sharp pencils in my back pockets, just in case it gets painful. The sharp pencils live in a pot on the bench, provided the fairies leave them alone.

K

Latest posts

Back