Peel or plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modelman093

Reaction score
When does a peeling cut become a planing cut and vica versa and in spindle turing what is the correct appication of either?
Thw more videos I watch the more confused I get!!!!

The planing cut is most commonly used to provide a smooth finish on a cylinder and when turning shallow hollows. The skew chisel should be presented to the blank at a 45°–65° degree rake angle on slightly above the centreline of the blank. Both the toe and heel should be clear of the wood. The cut needs to be taken slightly below the centre point of the chisel whether you are leading with the toe or heel.When planing a cylinder you should begin slightly in from the edge and move the tool along the cylinder keeping the cut parallel to the axis of the bed. The important point to remember is to keep the top edge of the skew clear of the wood or else a severe catch will occur. An underhand grip should make it easier for you to accomplish this.

There are two types of peeling cuts. The first type is used to smooth a blank while removing considerably more wood than when using a planing cut. With the first type of peeling cut you slip the bottom tip of the skew into the wood and lift shavings while planing the cylinder. Be careful not to go very deep.

The peeling cut is a more difficult cut than a planing cut due to the amount of wood being removed. The second kind of peeling cut is used most commonly with the parting tool, where the tool is placed edge up to the blank and pushed forward into the wood lifting the shavings.It is important that you ride the bevel and push forward with steady pressure.

Pasted from ... https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... M78KBMcg3g

A peeling cut is what you produce by plunging a parting tool at 90 deg. straight into a spindle.
A planning cut is what you achieve with a Skew Chisel when you master it, if you don't (master it that is) it's a Bang.

You can do a peeling cut with a skew, parting tool, bedan or in some circumstances, a spindle roughing gouge used on one wing (i.e. with the flute at 90°). Which ever tool you use the key is to keep the tool perpendicular to the spindle and push it straight in.

The planing cut is done with the skew or square chisel presented at an angle to give a slicing / shearing cut.

Whilst I agree with all of the replies I think that there is a distinct possibility that the definitions of the peeling cut as they are written by Paul and Chas might encourage the novice to make the common mistake of not rubbing the bevel during the cut and just pushing straight for the middle. I'm sure this isn't what's intended but is a common failing with many when using a parting tool.

For best results the handle is raised throughout the cut to keep the bevel as close as possible to being in contact with the circumference of the rotating work. As NazNomad says the peeling cut is still a bevel-rubbing cut otherwise it's guaranteed to tear the grain out and is no longer "peeling" off the timber.

HTH
Jon

chipmunk":26j9ettj said:
Whilst I agree with all of the replies I think that there is a distinct possibility that the definitions of the peeling cut as they are written by Paul and Chas might encourage the novice to make the common mistake of not rubbing the bevel during the cut and just pushing straight for the middle.

Except for the bedan, which is used bevel up.

does anybody use a bean. I bought one a few months ago, and use it in preference to the skew, although the finish that i get is not quite as good.

Paul Hannaby":dfd3zqt0 said:
chipmunk":dfd3zqt0 said:
Whilst I agree with all of the replies I think that there is a distinct possibility that the definitions of the peeling cut as they are written by Paul and Chas might encourage the novice to make the common mistake of not rubbing the bevel during the cut and just pushing straight for the middle.

Except for the bedan, which is used bevel up.

...Touche - you have me there :wink:

Having said that though the flat face is rubbed in use as if it were the bevel and I have an old sizing tool for a bedan which rather spuriously only works with the bevel down.

Jon

Back