paring gouge & stanley no71 cutters(for alf & rob)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
head clansman":wryqagl8 said:
hi all

two questions ,

1 Is there a purpose made grinding wheel for grinding the bevel to a paring gouge and what would be the angle of the grinding bevel :?: .

2 What is the correct way of sharpening a grannies tooth :?: ( if you like a stanley no 71) I only have two blade one about 6.5m and the other about 11.2m this one has a removable cutter foot , i think there is a third but don't know the size (any ideas) :?: have been looking to find the third so far with out any luck . thanks in advance for any info . hc.

hi all

alf , some info for you and rob as well.

alf wrote :

As for the gouges, if you find a foolproof method, I'd be delighted. They're a monumental pain in the posterior - which is a shame, 'cos they're very useful and I have an awful lot waiting to be sharpened...

Cheers, Alf

PDR_2204.jpg

PDR_2203.jpg

hope this may be of some help to you , with all your gouges. hc :wink:

The way I hone my router plane blades is to first create a hollow grind ..

Routerironhoning3.jpg

Use a Dremel or sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. The hollow does not need to be great. The above example is quite slight. The first time I did this I went a lot further ..

Routerironhollow.jpg

This is unnecessary. It is Ok, however, if the hollow turns out this way. Nevertheless, try and take the hollow as close to the edge of the bevel as you can (that way you only need to hone a small amount of steel).

Once the hollow is created, simply hone it sideways along the length of a stone...

Routerironhoning1jpg.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back