panel saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noelf

Reaction score
hi

looking for advice on an entry level panel saw, going to be used for mainly sheet materials as do alot of kitchens and wardrobes.

I have it narrowed down to 3 machines the griggio c-30, the robland sigma 3200 and the robland e2800.

Im looking for peoples opinions that have these machines and the pros and cons of them.

regards

noel

Noel, they are fairly similar - it's more important to make sure you get some good aftersales support for the machine.
cheers
Paul

Ive got a Robland panel saw, bought new in 1998

It is a solid machine, made from laser cut 6mm plate steel, cast table

The machine has had no mechanical problems in that time and it is used every day.

The sliding track runs on ball bearings, which it is argued have a point contact and can therefore wear. I can see the is a line where the balls run but no groove has formed and no play on the sliding table -it runs fine

The outrigger works well, it has occasionally had some chips get in it which makes the sliding table jolt a bit.

The rip fence works well, it does need cleaning and adjusting to keep it sliding well and the tube it runs on is held on bolts which slowly allow the solid bar to sag making the rip fence rub on the front edge of the table.

The most annoying thing is that the outrigger table is connected to the sliding table with a poor method of fixing and we used to suffer with it going out of square far too often. Its now been fixed with a bit of simple metalwork.

Like all budget machines it has its faults but overall its been a good machine for me. I should say though that its used in a joinery shop not a cabinet shop and we dont often cut up carcase materials.

I would suggest weighing up whether you might want to consider a second hand machine from Altendorf, Martin, Felder, SCM which you may be able to get for similar money.

There is so little difference between 2.8M and 3.2 Metre, I would go for the 3.2Metre. Also if you straighten solid timber from time to time, the 3.2M bed will do a 3.5M long board at a pinch, or any length if once you get to the end of travel, the board is lift over the cross cut fence and pulled through.

They are machines that take up a huge space!

thanks for the advice,i will be viewing the 3 saws next week to get a feel for them and to see what features and after sales servcie come with each.

I had a Robland and now have an altendorf. There is no comparison, chalk and cheese. I'd go for a secondhand Altendorf WA80 for the same price as a robland and have a superior saw on every aspect.

Also worth having a hunt around for used Martin panel saws if you are looking for a premium second hand saw. Really solid 'engineered' machines and spares are readily available.
Cheers
Paul

noelf":2bg03wk6 said:
thanks for the advice,i will be viewing the 3 saws next week to get a feel for them and to see what features and after sales servcie come with each.

I would suggest going to a dealer and seeing a second hand altendorf or martin, and compare quality with your new machine options.

The Robland machines may have improved their outrigger table etc. My feeling about the machine is the sliding table and motor on trunnions id good and solid, Ive no complajnts on that. The outrigger table and fence as well as rip fence are ok, but some bits are a bit of an afterthough and less well thought out. Certaknly not of the engineering standard of an alterndorf or martin.

90% of your requirement will be cutting carcasing material, so you want dead square repeatable accuracy all day everyday. So solidity of outrigger and squareness must be top of the list

Latest posts

Back