Paint for kids toys.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britman

Chip of the old block
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations of what paint to use on kids toys?

Kids ages are from 1-5 years.

Cheers.

If you have to use paints it will be water based. They are slightly soft and less likely to chip. For odd spot areas if you needed something shiny then Humbrol enamel would be good.
30 years ago for my boys I managed to find some excellent coloured dies. These could be mixed with with a spirit or water. They gave excellent results on hardwoods which I finished off with a coat of white polish and then a wax. If I was repeating the jobs now I'd try and use the same then apply a matt acrylic varnish.

Colin

I would second the use of Earthborn paint, though I'm not sure that one can claim that they are entirely plastic free , as some do contain synthetic paint binders

I would second the use of Earthborn paint, though I'm not sure that one can claim that they are entirely plastic free , as some do contain synthetic paint binders
ah yes I think the furniture paint does have VAE binders. https://earthbornpaints.co.uk/our-top-5-eco-credentials/ 'Our paints are water based and free from oils, with Claypaint being totally free from acrylics and vinyl.'

I was probably looking at the claypaint at some point and got mixed up.

Hopefully still a far better option than other paints.

This is actually quiet ironic, we seem to have several generations that have all sorts of issues and conditions with headlines such as this

1711622533518.png

and we are worried about what paint, the fact that the boomer generations who grew up chomping on lead paint are still here to tell the tale would suggest we can over think at times rather than looking at the bigger picture. Just use a water based paint, a scrubable washable acrylic.

This is actually quiet ironic, we seem to have several generations that have all sorts of issues and conditions with headlines such as this

View attachment 178283

and we are worried about what paint, the fact that the boomer generations who grew up chomping on lead paint are still here to tell the tale would suggest we can over think at times rather than looking at the bigger picture. Just use a water based paint, a scrubable washable acrylic.
I have (some) control over what paint finish I apply to toys, I have little/no control over nuclear emmissions.

I'm not sure it would wash if I just painted toys with toxic paint and if anyone called me out on it just said 'well there are bigger issues in the world than this'. True, that most water based paints these days are unlikely to cause an issue but if you are selling items you'll need to be sure you can prove it has been kid approved to cover yourself.

Also, whilst the 'boomer' generation lived through lead paint, it doesn't mean they didn't suffer from it's effects.

Lead is still an issue.
https://www.who.int/news/item/23-10...e-children-suffering-long-term-health-effects

Latest posts

Back