Out of interest.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought some of you might find this interesting. I was at my normal craft fair some weeks ago when I was approached by one of my long term customers. She explained that her brother-in-law was the warden of a church and that they were replacing the church organ with a modern one, the old one being well over 200 years old. The lady asked me if I would like the wood from the old one as she felt I would be able to use it.

It was not until last week that I was able to get down and see it, by which time it had been dismantled. I was surprised at just how much of the wood was usable. Most oif it was rose wood with the odd bit of oak and ash. Some of the pieces were quiote large, 6ft x 10 inches wide. Sadly a lot of the wood was heavily moulded and in those days the mouldings and carvings were all part of the same piece of wood, not like today when the mouldings would have been put on separately.

I have a large car like a 4 x 4 and with all the seats down I just managed to get all the usable wood inside. Had i had a planer/thicknesser Iwould have made a second trip for the rest. Most of the wood is around an inch thick but some of the organ parts had doubled up on the thickness and was held in place with brass screws. I feel the brass screws were hand made, they were thicker than the ones we use today and have blunt ends. All the wood is in perfect condition and just needs a few seconds on the belt sander to bring it up like new. The rose wood is truly beautiful and I am looking forward to making something from it soon.

I wish all the members a very happy Christmas and a very good New Year.

I've used rosewood on the lathe and it's like turning chocolate.

You'll enjoy working with it, I'm sure.

Geoff.

What luck, I bet that will be a treat to use, and could not be better seasoned, not like most of the wood we get, that was still a tree a couple of days before.

All the best for the New Year.

Chris.

Back