optimising a cutting list?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I have just been asked to make my biggest order, and am a loss as to how to work out how much timber to buy.
I have 22 different sizes of plain timber (think softwood or pine), but have no idea how to work out how many planks I need in order to minimise waste.
Is there a short cut programme any of you use?

You could try www.cutlistoptimizer.com/ - You can also install it on Android. I use it on my phone, but I've only ever used it for simple stuff - never anything overly complex.

Also worth looking at workshop-buddy.com/cut-optimization-calculator.html which I think might be better if you're only using linear lengths.

Other than that there seem to be quite a few that cost quite a lot. Those ^^ are free ones.

hmmmm. looks like I'm coming at this from the wrong end.
Those want me to list the size that I'm starting with. Thats what I dont know. I know the finished sizes, but want to work out from there what to buy.
I think I'm going to have to do it the old fashioned way. I got lots of paper and quite a few pencils.

You any good with sketchup Bob? I find it useful for helping to work out what I need (together with the inevitable pencil and paper!).

absolutely P.A.N.T.S. at computer drawing stuff. My mind is too logical to work with something I cant see.

I think Cutlist Optimizer would help with the layout if you did know what size you could buy timber in. Does your supplier not have a standard width board, like 145mm or 200mm? You could set the length to 2.4m or 3.0m again depending on the timber yard.

Of course, it would require some thinking to make all your pieces into the most convenient rectangles. Squared paper and a calculator works nicely too!

Happy is the man who works with a limited range of timbers. He buys big and carries any surplus over to the next project.

happy is the man who hasnt ordered twice his needs, either. (g).

I shall just go to my most patient woodyard and get him to cut all 44 pieces off of the longest planks he has. He does this calculation all day long. Should have thought of that in the first place. See, my first big order and already the stress levels are building.

Jacob posted a very simple method on here some time ago - no computers or fancy calculations. I'm sure it will also be effective, given Jacob's experience.
No luck finding it yet; I'll continue looking
Duncan

Sorted. He cut every thing for me. He used up his offcuts, and charged me 15 euros cutting but I dont mind because he saved me many more euros than that as well as half a day.

Back