Beginner Pine Timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brdy

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m looking around at various sites and groups that claim to have bought premium grade pine timber.

I assumed my local timber supplier would be much better grade of pine than the DIY stores like wickes and b&q, although I still found the same amount of knots and imperfections.

Would the timber from my local supplier be a better grade or does a better grade mean there shouldn’t be as many imperfections.

Im just looking to practice making a few side tables, small boxes etc for now before moving onto hardwoods.

What I’m trying to ask is:-
Is there actually a difference between DIY shops and ‘premium’ grade pine, if so what am I looking out for?

Thanks guys.

In short I buy timber from both diy outlets and builders merchants ( Selco Travis Perkins etc) I always pick my own but it all comes down to use . I’ve found that pine tends to twist and cup regardless of where I’ve brought it from it all depends on how/ where it’s stored . I’m no expert in this field but I always sort my own timber to get the best I can .

In short I buy timber from both diy outlets and builders merchants ( Selco Travis Perkins etc) I always pick my own but it all comes down to use . I’ve found that pine tends to twist and cup regardless of where I’ve brought it from it all depends on how/ where it’s stored . I’m no expert in this field but I always sort my own timber to get the best I can .
Yea I also sort through the stacks of timber to pick my own, it just seems like if I’m going to make a table top for example I’m going to have some pretty hefty knots in there, or a heck of a lot of waste.

I’m looking around at various sites and groups that claim to have bought premium grade pine timber.

I assumed my local timber supplier would be much better grade of pine than the DIY stores like wickes and b&q, although I still found the same amount of knots and imperfections.

Would the timber from my local supplier be a better grade or does a better grade mean there shouldn’t be as many imperfections.

Im just looking to practice making a few side tables, small boxes etc for now before moving onto hardwoods.

What I’m trying to ask is:-
Is there actually a difference between DIY shops and ‘premium’ grade pine, if so what am I looking out for?

Thanks guys.

Would that be Nick's Timber in Gloucester - I used them years ago when I lived near Cheltenham - usually better stuff than the DIY sheds (although the long-gone MaidaVale timber in Chelt was the best place)

Would that be Nick's Timber in Gloucester - I used them years ago when I lived near Cheltenham - usually better stuff than the DIY sheds (although the long-gone MaidaVale timber in Chelt was the best place)
Yea that’s right, they arnt too bad but I picked up a bit of 1 x 6 which after sorting through the stack still had a load of rubbish bits to it, I might be being too fussy, but wasn’t sure if there was such pine available with very few imperfections.

i have gone through all wickes pine boards for a job, and rejected it ALL in the past and then at a timber merchants - pretty much went though 50 items to get 10 good ones
only a DIYer so limited how often i have done this - BUT i always pick my own , on the one occasion covid, when travis delivered some sheets and some 2x4 (i length >4m) - the 2x4 was bowed and twisted , and pretty useless for the job - i ended up going to wickes again and sorting some 2x4 at 2.4m lengths, again had to go through the stack to get a couple of good lengths

I recently removed a staircase in advance of a new purpose made all singing glass sided job being fitted . I managed to salvage a 3 mtr mahogany newell post and 3 lengths of 90mm x 100 mm timber ( I think it’s pine ) strange thing is it’s straighter than most timber on sale at the local diy outlets but it’s at least 80 yrs old possibly older ..

If I were you I'd pop over to Wentwood timber near Chepstow. They won't have much pine (although they sometimes have some), but most of the timber there seems much cheaper than anywhere else I've looked so you'll probably get some nice Ash for less than you'd pay for pine from Nick's Timber. I haven't been to Nick's timber for years though, so I might be doing them a disservice.

The sort of pine you buy in a builders merchant is likely to be what are referred to as fifths. The better quality is what is referred to as unsorted U/S and. depending on the grading system includes grades down to fourths. If you are after better quality pine then you should buy joinery quality U/S which you can get from a proper timber merchant. This is usually sold sawn rather than planed.
If you are purchasing pine originating from America rather than the Baltic, then their better grades are called "clear"

Joinery grade will be totally different to what you can purchase in your local B&Q etc
Local to me a company called Atlantic timber , have a look at their website to get some idea of what’s available and cost.

Last edited:
Hales in Drybrook, Forest of Dean is my go to place for PSE pine. It is high quality and I get to pick through. A few years back I remember walking across with the yardchap and said I was hoping for some boards that were pretty knot free, he mumbled back 'trees have branches'. We got to the timber and the first 4.2metre board he picked up had zero knots and the second had 1 tiny knot. I said 'guess this tree didn't have any branches' :) bought both of those boards and they currently surround my bathroom window.

Some of the better quality Pine is used to make the wider sections of skirting, it’s a more expensive way of buying but for that odd bit, for a panel maybe, it’s sometimes worth looking at.
Ian

Back