one for any plumbers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust1

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently had to move a bathroom for a customer and turn it into a shower room. All went ok until i found one leak
and one tiny weep on the joints where the pipe behind the stud wall meets the short angled connection to the bar mixer unit.
The leak the plumber sorted after 4 days. It has taken him 2 weeks to come out and fix the weep, today i turned up on site
to find the void behind the tile where the pipe passes through full of clear silicone, and around the connection. I a'm wondering if
he just turned up and filled the void with silicone to stop the leak showing or is this an acceptable way to stop a tiny weep ?

sawdust1":164hfocn said:
I recently had to move a bathroom for a customer and turn it into a shower room. All went ok until i found one leak
and one tiny weep on the joints where the pipe behind the stud wall meets the short angled connection to the bar mixer unit.
The leak the plumber sorted after 4 days. It has taken him 2 weeks to come out and fix the weep, today i turned up on site
to find the void behind the tile where the pipe passes through full of clear silicone, and around the connection. I a'm wondering if
he just turned up and filled the void with silicone to stop the leak showing or is this an acceptable way to stop a tiny weep ?

It isn't an acceptable way to solve a weep, but after correctly fixing the weep it can be used to secure the pipe. What i mean by that is as the pipe passes through the wall, or anything for that matter, the constant on/off of the shower can cause slight movement, the silicone will somewhat hold the pipe in place stopping added movement in any joints

Actually Dragon the side with the silicone did have more movement than the other side
so you maybe right.
Wizard i did not want to remove the silicone to check just incase it was their for a reason.

Hate to admit it, but I agree with Wizard (had to happen sooner or later)

You need to know. You can always smother it with silicone again if you feel so inclined.

Why not just ask the plumber did he fix the leak before he siliconed it? Chances are he did.

Back