Octogonal gazebo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent job, well done, indeed!
I would have been tempted to put in some kind of rafter ties,
but I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason why you didn't. :)

The horizontal thrust of the rafters is resisted by a hexagonal ring formed by the 120x120 beams. Those are rigidly connected by notches and bolts. The rafters have notches to and they rest on the bolts that connect the beams so that they can't slide apart. Long story short: the horizontal thrust of the rafters becomes a tensile force inside those beams.

A bit like a posher version of a twelve sided one I made a zillion years ago.
2002_0427_143748AA (640x480).jpg

(p.s. You can edit your title if you want)

Attachments

• 2002_0427_143748AA (640x480).jpg
    2002_0427_143748AA (640x480).jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 658
That's impressive for a first project especially getting all the angles right with a handsaw. Well done =D>

I like the innovative bench :lol:

Regards Keith

2 chrispy :
Wow, I really like your design. It's so light an oriental.. I bet you could practice zen and have tea ceremonies there :)
2 Woodchips2 : the first few cuts were not that perfect, I even had to redo a few things, but then I got a feel on it. The hardest part was cutting those boards for the roof. They were all different width so we had to mark them in place and then cut. It took us like a week to finish those boards..
PS.: How do I change the name of the topic?

Den_Kompaniets":19rh0dgp said:
The horizontal thrust of the rafters is resisted by a hexagonal ring formed by the 120x120 beams. Those are rigidly connected by notches and bolts. The rafters have notches to and they rest on the bolts that connect the beams so that they can't slide apart. Long story short: the horizontal thrust of the rafters becomes a tensile force inside those beams.

I imagine that with the roof sheathing boards in place, the horizontal component was further reduced.

Sure, that improves the structural integrity of the frame, and adds to the rigidity. Actually I think there is quite a big tolerance to the actual loading.

Latest posts

Back