Oak Veneer Buying Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamite

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to get some oak veneer roll for sticking to some already purchased ply. I have the ply already and the project is semi built so not going to purchase veneered ply. It will be my first time doing this and I’ve browsed the net but unsure where best and most cost effective to buy from. Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Kind Regards… Rob

P.S. the width will involve joining on one of the widest parts (700mm square). Longest piece about 1000mm by about 150mm. Most widths will be about 320mm. Total length appx 10 mts.

Last edited:
Your choice is going to be determined by your method of application. Without any form of veneer press (I presume) you'll be limited to hand methods which are (a) traditional 0.6mm veneer and hide glue or (b) pre-glued iron-on. Buying traditional veneer in your quantities is difficult; too much for the craft scene and too little for a commercial supplier. Even if you could obtain it, the traditional route is not for the beginner. That leaves the iron-on method. Have a look at veneersonline. They supply in your sort of quantities and are not far away in Gainsborough. The downside is that you'll probably be limited to boring American White Oak.
Brian

Thanks Brian, not bothered about it being iron on but know what you mean about american. My project is in european oak.

Regards...Rob

I have used this type of veneer sheet from: Meyer when making doors, or curved panels etc, but as @Yojevol said, it only comes in AW, to be honest once its had an oil or finish applied its not really that noticeable, I do have the use of a Vac press to apply it.

Still got some somewhere If I get chance ill take a pic so you can see it better than the web site pic.

Found some old pics from when I used it for making 8' tall doors:

veneer.jpgveneer2.jpg veneer1.jpg

Pics are bit poor but you get the idea.

Latest posts

Back