Oak Ledged Bifold door fitting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say you either use the iron hinges and hinge one door off another, possibly risking them dropping due to the weight and not being tenoned construction or you could use a bifold kit but use the hinges for the kit. If you try and use the iron hinges it is likely the hinge pivot point wont match for the kit and the doors will bind as they get towards the park position.

Hi robin

I was hoping to use a quality iron strap hinge between frame and door and use the small iron hinges between doors.
It is difficult to imagine how that would interfere with the function regards the track.
Any recommendations for tracking?

Thanks

There really any cheap options I know about, I tend to use Brio interfold although its possible your doors may be over the weight.

http://briouk.com/blog/products/interio ... erfold-25/

You may be able to get it to work with different hinges, but the problem is that the effective door leaf width from centre of track hinge pivot to centre of knuckle of door leaf to door leaf hinge has to be the same otherwise the doors wont open fully they will bind. It is possible you could compensate for that by making the door leaves different widths, but it may require some prototyping to prove.

Bifold door kits generally come with cranked door hinges to allow the door leaves to be equal for the same reason. If you look through the Brio instructions it will show how the different hinges operate (maybe in the weatherfold 4S 100kg range).

Ney do cheaper kits that work well, however they are only really ok for wardrobe doors as a door stop cant be fitted to the jambs.

http://www.ney.co.uk/components/door-sy ... nfold.html

I will incubate on the hinge geometry for a while and check out those links you supplied, it usually takes me a few days to understand the variables :roll:

cheers mate :D

Thanks Andy

Interesting site....

I was hoping to use the iron antique hinges to fit with the ledged oak doors, it's a rustic look in a nice cottage.

The first installer got fired for using Howdens "oak look" bifold doors. Apparently they were two different colours, badly fitted with cheap hinges and did't fit properly.
I am hoping to improve on that ?

Back