Oak Clock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobscarle

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a comment from Lord Nibbo about my avatar requesting more pictures. To save hijacking his coffee table thread I have decided to create a new one.

This is a clock I made following a request from SWMBO for something "different". The clock is made from quarter sawn oak, 3 pieces glued up to make the face. The hour marks are small pieces of walnut set in mortices. I made the plinth by cutting a rebate in a strip of the oak then carefully cutting 60 deg angles on each piece.

clock1.jpg

clock2.jpg

On the back I cut a recess for the mechanism freehand using a router. The clock hangs on the wall by means of a small french cleat. The mechanism and hands I bought from www.clockparts.co.uk but many other places have them (including Axminster). Make sure you buy the long spindle mec.

clock3.jpg

I hope that answers all of your questions.

Bob

Trific Bob, Cushty, Monge too, as Delboy would say :lol:

Swmbo's looking over my shoulder, saying "I would like one yesterday please" She thinks your clock is Brill. :)

That's really nice. Sometimes the simplest designs are the most pleasing.

Very nice.

I will have to have a go at one myself :wink:

I'm glad swmbo spotted your avatar clock Bob, and as there is so much interest in it perhaps we should make it a competition! what do you think?

Thank you all for your kind words.

Your Lordship.....I never expected such interest. I only posted the pictures because you asked for more. The competition sounds like a great idea. The clock is really quick to make and technically not that difficult. As I said, I made this one because SWMBO had a hankering for "something different", maybe use that as a theme.

Bob

Bob, that's very nice.

How did you set out and then cut the mortices for those walnut marks?

Andy

Lovely clock Bob. Inspired to make a similar one myself after seeing that (an excuse to cut anges on the new saw :wink: ).

Thanks

Andy

Layout is really quite simple, it takes longer to explain than to do it, this is the way I did it. Make the face and pick a point for the centre. Using a compass draw a large circle for the outside ring. Pick a top point, and, without changing the compass, step around the circumference of the circle. This will divide the circle into 6 equal parts. Take 2 marks next to each other and draw a line between them. Bisect the line and mark the edge of the circle. Again step around from this point to give 12 equal points.

From the same centre point draw a smaller circle which will give the length of the inserts. From 6 of the 12 points draw a line across both circles making sure it passes through the mid point. To mark the mortices, either use a ruler or, as I did, set the compasses to half the width and make marks either side of your diagonal lines. Join the lines to give the layout for the mortices.

I cut all the mortices by hand simply using a 6mm chisel. The walnut had been cut into strips about 8mm square using the table saw. Its then just a case of chopping out. I did not go to the full depth of the walnut, instead leaving it a little proud, then sanding it flush.

Bob

Latest posts

Back