Oak aquarium stand and computer desk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philg

Established Member
Reaction score
After buying a new aquarium recently and seeing the stands on offer i decided to make my own out of oak. The stand started out as an old rope ladder with quartersawn white oak treads, all but two of which were dead straight and in good condition.
1534649565_ff6e38af4d.jpg

T]he longer treads became the legs and the shorter ones resawed for panels and rails and stiles.I developed the hole in the longer pieces into a through tenon and added another to the top of the leg. The top is two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood glues together with an oak edging and end grain laminations to the ends. The piece is finished with Colron medium oak danish oil
1534649457_74add3b6d2.jpg

1534649551_1eb60d22b5.jpg

1534649539_69bece3db0.jpg

The stand was made to match this computer desk, again made out of oak using both solid wood and veneered mdf, and finished with danish oil. The design is a copy of a desk i seen in an old office that was probably made in the 1930's.
1534649581_8b7f7fda24.jpg

1534649591_80e8a97182.jpg

1535534512_17226d9562.jpg

Sorry not to have included any WIP pics i didnt think of it until nearly finished - maybe next time
Phil

Thats the most gorgeous desk i thin kI have ever seen...just my style.

And I love the fact you recycled a ladder into that cabinet. Love it. :p

=D> Very nice Phil - I bet you are pleased. I particularly like the aquarium stand and the imaginative use of the reclaimed oak. I particularly like the detail of the through tenons on the legs.

All the best,

Steve

Phil,
They are both very attractive pieces indeed.

I am puzzled though why you used continuous hinge on the doors of your aquarium stand - what was the thinking behind this.

Not just good looking work but re-cycled as well. :wink:
The desk is great too. :wink:
Well done Phil. :wink:

Thanks for all the generous comments everyone, much appreciated

I am puzzled though why you used continuous hinge on the doors of your aquarium stand - what was the thinking behind this.

No significant reason other than i had a couple of strips of piano hinge in the workshop and decided to use them up. Think the silver knobs clash with the brass hinge though so i'll probably put on oak handles at some stage

Phil

Back