Norris #1 Double Iron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essexalan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Norris #1 2 1/2" infill and require a double iron for it. I purchased the plane along with a Matthieson from Bristol Design years ago and the plane never had the Norris cap iron with it. We did manage to find another cap iron that fitted. Over the years the plane has done sterling service but when the Norris iron started to get a bit short I obtained a double iron made from D2 steel. Do not like this at all and would prefer something like the cast steel original. Somehow I have managed to lose the cap iron originally obtained from Bristol Design, don't ask!
So I intend to make a cap iron to fit and an iron to suit which I will get properly hardened. Original, well possibly the original, Norris is 4.20 mm thick, replacement D2 is 4.5 mm and the mouth is not that tight with the D2 iron. Any advice as to suitable steel and measurements of the cap iron would be most gratefully received. Norris double irons are as rare as hen's teeth!

Regards

Alan

Back