Stanley Yoke material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE:

I had the yokes welded. It turned out to be cast steel, so it was welded with MIG without issues. I had to grind the weld myself to fit the hole on the cap iron. Unfortunatelly, I have put the fork part of the yoke into the vice and closed it a little bit more, so one of the yokes broke apart. But the other welded piece worked just fine.

I have ordered a replacement brass yokes for Juuma planes from here
https://www.fine-tools.com/juumaplaneparts.html
They are very cheap so I took the risk without knowing if it would fit my 100 year old Stanley planes. I have bought new yokes for both my Stanley planes. And they fit exceptionally well. The yoke is now fully engaged in the slot of the cap iron and it has considerably less slack when turning the adjustment wheel. The only downside is that the pin that holds the yoke is a little bit loose, but not so loose that it would fall off randomly. In case it happens in the future, I still have original steel pins from the plane.

UPDATE:

I had the yokes welded. It turned out to be cast steel, so it was welded with MIG without issues. I had to grind the weld myself to fit the hole on the cap iron. Unfortunatelly, I have put the fork part of the yoke into the vice and closed it a little bit more, so one of the yokes broke apart. But the other welded piece worked just fine.

I have ordered a replacement brass yokes for Juuma planes from here
https://www.fine-tools.com/juumaplaneparts.html
They are very cheap so I took the risk without knowing if it would fit my 100 year old Stanley planes. I have bought new yokes for both my Stanley planes. And they fit exceptionally well. The yoke is now fully engaged in the slot of the cap iron and it has considerably less slack when turning the adjustment wheel. The only downside is that the pin that holds the yoke is a little bit loose, but not so loose that it would fall off randomly. In case it happens in the future, I still have original steel pins from the plane.
Good to know for other folks planes that those ones fit.

Is the hole larger in the Juuma planes, or is it that the pin is just needing to be flared a bit, after the mushroom were possibly filed off?

Did you try tapping from both directions when you were removing it?

Tom

Good to know for other folks planes that those ones fit.

Is the hole larger in the Juuma planes, or is it that the pin is just needing to be flared a bit, after the mushroom were possibly filed off?

Did you try tapping from both directions when you were removing it?

Tom
My assumption is that Juuma pin is 3 mm in diameter. Original Stanley is 1/8 inch, which is +/- 3,18 mm. Also Juuma pin is a little bit shorter, so it does not protrude from both ends. The best solution is to keep the original pin and use 3,2 mm drill bit to enlarge the hole in Juuma brass yoke. But unless it starts falling off the holes, I will not alter mine.

Back