No Name Yet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
This piece has not got a name but just something I have been playing with. Made from tulip wood for the leaves and The bowl I believe is ABW.

C & C welcome

DSCF6631%202_zpsydt4ooj1.jpg

DSCF6626%202_zpsdyx8hsdv.jpg

DSCF6632%202_zpsyhwgd8cw.jpg

Thank you both

buzzby":2fxkoiso said:
very nice. What is the finish? Has a good shine to it.

I ran out of my usual spray and had to buy some in a hurry and ended up buying THIS and quite pleased with the result

CHJ":2fxkoiso said:
Beautifully finished Derek, but consensus Here * is that the cup is over large (tall) for the piece. A shallower cup more in keeping with a water Lilly would be our preference.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1CuR1FZETg

I'm sat looking at that first view, 08.32

I did wonder about the size but it looks better in the flesh. The wife did suggest painting it white or yellow with a high light. It was not really meant to be a lilly but it does look like one.

Lovely hope you are having a relaxing time. :mrgreen:

That's an interesting finish yu've got with that lacquer, did it pose any major problems, misting/runs etc.
Is it as sprayed or have you burnished it.

Great work on the petals by the way, a little head scratching I guess on the alignment and fixing.

The finish is straight from the can sprayed in thin coats with a little rub with 1200grit paper, wipe over with a tack cloth then another coat, this was repeated until I was happy which in this case was 3 coats.

The petals start as a set of three bowls with a 5/8" hole in the top two for alignment and a blind hole in the bottom one, not shown in the photo. The top bowl had a matching tenon to pass through and locate it all.
Here are the three bowls before any carving

DSCF6474_zpsd6zy1ghj.jpg

Once it is turned then I mark out where the leaves need to be top and bottom remembering that they are to overlap I the carve a line and leave one side with a step and the other I blend in to the rest of the bowl. This has to be done both top and bottom of each set of leaves.
This is followed with a lot of sanding to 600grit going through the grades to give a smooth finish to the wood before decorating can start.

Dalboy":3j29vnnr said:
The finish is straight from the can sprayed in thin coats..........

Once it is turned then I mark out where the leaves need to be top and bottom ....

Simples!!!. NOT. Thanks for the run through.

Stunning piece Derek, you're taking your art to new levels all the time, great to see! :)

Back