Newbie saying hello

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel67

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am in the process of getting a used lathe at the weekend and I have to decide between two one is an Axminster m950 inc bits and bobs the other is £300 more :shock: the other is a poolewood euro 2000 which I'm lead to believe is a good machine and I should never need to upgrade if I enjoy my new hobby. What do you guys recommend as I haven't used a Woodlathe for 30 years........ :D thanks in advance.

Nigel67":3djfvnqy said:
Hi everyone I am in the process of getting a used lathe at the weekend and I have to decide between two one is an Axminster m950 inc bits and bobs the other is £300 more :shock: the other is a poolewood euro 2000 which I'm lead to believe is a good machine and I should never need to upgrade if I enjoy my new hobby. What do you guys recommend as I haven't used a Woodlathe for 30 years........ :D thanks in advance.

The Axminster m950 is a much more basic lathe, need to check how well the drive mechanism has been maintained, ease of speed change (with lathe running), lack of rattles etc. Adequate to start practicing and learning on, spares available from original supplier.

The Poolewood euro 2000 is a much more powerful and sophisticated lathe and as long as it is fully serviceable and stays that way should be fine, Spares for motor and drive I suspect could be very problematical* and very expensive if found being a proprietary design.

Here is a review by an American owner

* Note The current owners of the brand do not list the lathe or spares

The poolewood was purchased new by the sellers late father, so has been used purely for private use. I keep telling myself that a better machine albeit, as you've pointed out, obsolete now may work out as better value as I should not need to upgrade if I get hooked, just got to convince myself to up the budget from the start. Biggest problem is I don't know how much I should be paying for a poolewood as google draws a blank so either they are so good the owners don't want to part with them or not many were sold new. Decisions.....decisions!!!

I seem to remember a euro 1000 selling for something like £340 on evilbay, but I can't find it. A 2000 or 3000 had a starting price of £500 (iirc) and didn't sell. They are like buses - you don't see one for ages, then you see 2 or 3. I think from following other threads that lathes that incorporate the motor in the headstock are best avoided as when they fail if they are obsolete the whole lathe is effectively scrap - the motor can't just be changed for another off the shelf. However, if I knew the history I'd buy it and just get the motor and bearings checked by someone knowledgable.

Well I had a look at the m950 and it comes with a lot of extras, chisels, chuck, air filter, measuring tools, live centre, prong drive etc......The chap that owns it bought it new from Axminster and has done very little with it. Everything seems fine and tight (he is still on the oridginal belt) and he will sell the complete package to me for £250 which seems good value. He also has offered me a 3' length of 14 year old seasoned walnut about 9" diameter, what do you think I should be offering for that?. I have also got a chance to maybe look at buying a Record CL4 but this only comes with a live centre, g3 chuck and a drive spindle, should I go for this bear in mind this one will probably be twice the price or more. Sorry for all the questions but I'm slowly really confusing myself now.... :shock:

The axminster is no Rolls Royce but at that price for the kit I would say it's a no-brainer.
An even more budget version of that system did me good service long enough for me to learn enough about wood turning to be better able to make a more informed judgment about where I needed to go and wanted to get.

Thanks for that, you've just really confirmed what my "sensible head" was telling me. I need to have a go and ,as you say, learn and see if I enjoy it and then upgrade in the future.

Latest posts

Back