Newbie buying machined timber - unreasonable expectations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chrispy":3uhu4o2t said:
What part of Oxford are you, if you're anywhere near Wantage drop me a line and I'll see if I can help.

Cheers mate - I'll see how the 3rd attempt from the wood yard goes - but for the future, thanks for the offer.

thomashenry":21zcoaub said:
Ok, thanks. So I guess I need at least a miter saw then, for trimming down oversized pieces for the face frame.

Why do you "need" a mitre saw to cut to length? Just buy one of these http://www.diy.com/departments/spear-jackson-panel-saw-l22/152627_BQ.prd much cheaper, quieter and safer (better for your lungs). Also you would have to faf about setting up the saw to cut square in both planes (in my limited experience they are never right out of the box), by the time you have done that you could have it all done and fitted.

Matt

undergroundhunter":2ks3ihyf said:
thomashenry":2ks3ihyf said:
Ok, thanks. So I guess I need at least a miter saw then, for trimming down oversized pieces for the face frame.

Why do you "need" a mitre saw to cut to length? Just buy one of these http://www.diy.com/departments/spear-jackson-panel-saw-l22/152627_BQ.prd much cheaper, quieter and safer (better for your lungs). Also you would have to faf about setting up the saw to cut square in both planes (in my limited experience they are never right out of the box), by the time you have done that you could have it all done and fitted.

Matt

What jig do you use to cut square with a handsaw?

Same one that's been used for centuries, eye/hand co-ordination :wink:

Im an amateur like yourself. This has helped me in the past. Clamp a bit of timber taller than it is wide flush to your cutting line. 4x2 for example. Make sure it's square!
Take a sharp chisel and bevel out. ie. flat side toward your non cut side, give it a little bit of a tap.Turn your chisel over and gently pare away the waste side. easy now. Just a touch. Now you have your notch. Draw your saw a few times keeping the body against the clamped timber. Pay attention to keeping your body and feet in alignment with the most easy stroke. Relax, measure your breaths and take your time. Let the weight of the saw do the work, never force it. Extend your fore or index finger along the axis of the saw, draw the saw. relax! keep going. nearly there! support the work when you're nearly through.
Now practice 600 times.
You're the target of my first ever woodworking advice lol.
Sometimes there's no shortcuts. You gotta learn how to do it by doing it.
(still learning here if thats any comfort)
cheers
Chris

JSW":792h6e3b said:

hahah! No chance of me ever making freehand crosscuts to anything like the accuracy I need!

thomashenry":1twmqvov said:
JSW":1twmqvov said:

hahah! No chance of me ever making freehand crosscuts to anything like the accuracy I need!
Really? A little practice and you would be surprised I think.

Knock up a shooting board and cut a little wide of your line then plane it square and to length. A lot cheaper than a mitre saw and just as quick.

Many people don't realise the importance of making sure their bench is dead level in all planes. If your bench is dead level, your vice should be perpendicular - which means that when your eyes and brain tell you that you're cutting or planing something square - you probably are. :D

thomashenry":2jwypwgz said:
JSW":2jwypwgz said:

It really isn't that hard, just takes a small investment of time to learn but once you've learnt its there forever. Don't get me wrong mite saws are great if your studding walls or making hundreds of cuts a day, for me a handsaw would win every time (its good exercise as well).

Matt

thomashenry":1z48r2u1 said:

Just get a scrap of 3x2, cramp it in your vice/workmate/whatever, pencil line on the face and edge that you can see with a combination square, adopt a good, sure footed stance, then draw BACK the saw along the furthest corner to get the blade started in the wood, and off you go. 5mm or so in you'll be able to see where you're deviating from the line, and still have chance to correct. Once done repeat a half dozen times till you get the feel for what is right for you, and what will cut the wood square. Done. Best 15 minutes spent in the workshop this year, now you can cut straight.

Whilst it is good to learn how cut straight, a handsawn cut is never going to be good enough for a butt joint on a front frame. It could be made clean enough with a shooting board. For non purists a chop saw is a clear winner and has the advantage of being able to do trimming cuts of 1/2mm or so, not something that is possible with a handsaw.

Obviously with practice one can improve - but I don't think I will ever be able to freehand saw cross cuts as accurately as a well calibrated table saw sled or mitre saw (be it a hand jig or powered one)

Back